Deeper Meaning To Adventure Time?

I love the show Adventure Time, but could never figure out exactly why I love it.

I like how random it is, and how the hid some older age jokes.

I love the whole after apocalypse stuff (I guess I'm drawn to it, because I like a lot of things that happen to be apocalypse related).

Any who, I just wanted to know if there is a "deeper meaning" to the show, because I can sense there is one, but can't pinpoint it. :/

Thanks!

Thanks for the theories about the show (Lola), but I meant is there a meaning (like a lesson).

Maybe that we humans should stop fighting each other, or we will kill out our own race, possibly?

I don't know about the one where Finn's in a coma (although very interesting, and very sad), because the creator stated that there WAS a war, and the show DOES in fact take place an after apocalypse.

But the coma one does make you think, doesn't it?

Favorite Answer

I love the show too and the occasional old car and worn down building hinting at an apocalyptic world just makes it that much better. I don't know how accurate these are, but here are some theories:

The true story behind adventure time is actually really damn depressing. It takes place something like 1000 years after a nuclear war, which wiped out all humanity besides the ice king, who was horribly mutated. Everything you see is an abomination brought upon by nuclear waste harming and mutating the environments and animals. They actually show the damn war and following nuclear winter in a few episodes. F**kin depressing, man" - mrgetoocoolaid

"Adventure Time passes in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity destroys itself with a colossal nuclear bomb (you can see nukes in the opening) , after this bomb (and maybe not just one) falls, human mostly died and who survived went to the underground, to protect themselves from diseases created by the effects of the bombs. But, when they were underground, they did not know that above their heads the world was changing, and the bomb, even reaching the sun, opened different dimensions (Nightosphere, Lumpy Space, etc.) and make the habitants of these different dimensions to start living on Earth, the creatures and humans that survived the war and still were in the surface were transformed into mutated creatures because of the radiation (Candy people, Undead, Raincorns, Talking Dogs, etc.)."

In "Ocean Of Fear", when Jake and Finn go to under the sea, in the background you can see a complete ruined city underground and a place where was supposed to be a traffic lane with buried cars on it. When they try to reach Lich before he goes to the "Power Well", you can see in the surface a unused nuke before they enter in the subway.

Another thing is that in some episodes it mention the Mushroom war, which is meaning the atomic bombs that when explode make huge clouds shaped like mushrooms.

Another Theory:

Finn was a 13 year old boy who was extremely lonely: having no friends and being ignored by his mother, who was having a difficult time enough trying to support him working 2 jobs. His only friend was his loyal dog, Jake. A few years later, Jake died of old age.

After Jake's passing, Finn got extremely depressed and attempted to commit suicide via overdose. Rather than dying, though, he fell into a coma and was stuck in the hospital. Doctors feared he would never wake up from the coma. Sadly, they seemed to be correct, as Finn would never wake up from his coma, stuck in a perpetual dream, a fantasy world Finn had always dreamed of, and told Jake about.

In this world, Finn and Jake went on crazy adventures to save princesses that were madly in love with Finn, Jake had a girlfriend named Lady Rainicorn, who was a rainbow colored unicorn who only spoke Korean (which led to only Jake understanding him).

Finn, however, was in love with Princess Bubblegum, who ruled the Candy Kingdom, but she could never decide whether Finn was her friend or her lover, which served to be a constant source of frustration for Finn.

His greatest rival was the Ice King, an evil king who ruled the Ice Kingdom, who was upset and depressed because he was forever alone, so he kidnapped princesses. The Ice King had an intense jealousy for Finn because the princesses loved him so much.

More and more characters came into the picture. More candy people, more talking inanimate objects, and more adventuring. Finn had went completely insane. It was no normal child's imagination at work. Finn would remain in a coma until his dying days, adventuring with his dead dog Jake, never aging, never changing. It was forever, Adventure Time.

All pretty depressing i know, anyway hope this helps :)

I Like The Coma Theory Too but Mine Is-

Adventure Time Starts With a Post Apocalyptic Land Caused by a Comet(Finn's Past Life) And Nuclear Bombs From The Mushroom War,Creating The Hole in the RightSide of The Earth

Lets Start With Ice King,His Former name is Simon Petrikov,He was an History Expert Also an Archeologist,He is the Founder of The Enchiridion,Also His Crown Was Given to Him

By A Mountain Merchant,After The Nuclear Bomb Hit He

Found A 7 Year old Girl That is sick because of Her Father,Marceline,He protects Marceline From The Mutated People Using The Crown,He also Has A Fiancé Betty!She Was His "Princess" That's why Ice King Always Go for The Princesses

• gaw

Meaning Of Adventure

Adventure Time Theories

I don't know what to think about theories on how every one got to Oooo but there seem to be a lot of themes and concepts from many different theologies. I've noticed a strange amount of ideas in the show that can be traced back to Judeo/Christian vs. Satanism. From the first adventure time short, where Abraham Lincoln tell Finn that nothing else matters besides believing in himself, which is more-or-less a major slogan of Statism. They also have an episode that reflects the temptations of Jesus. There is a fair amount of references to Alchemy, especially in the episode You Forgot your Floaties. I also find it odd that the defense mechanism to stop the second coming of Glob is a Baphomet. I dono, these are just things iv noticed

Well I think the Coma Theory is partly true. My theory is:

It started with Finns mother and father. Finns father left him and Finns mother wasnt really around much until finn got 2 dogs, Joshua and Margarret. Then they had two puppies, Jermaine and Jake but sadly Jermaine who was born second died at birth and Margarret died giving birth. Joshua died of old age or broken heart but Finn was really connected to Jake. With his parents being divorved and visiting his dad once in a while who didnt want to open up to his son. So his father Martin watches jake while Finn goes on a little trip with his mother on a boat in the winter. Well some accident happens and Finn and his mom gets in an accident at the age of 12 and his mother dies. Finn goes into a coma and his father and jake are there waiting for him. Every aspect of OOO is something in his life. And certain tales are stories he would tell to Jake when lonely. As he ages, everything that happened in real life happens in OOO. Thats it!

Those are good theories but mine is that the show takes place in a post apocalyptic world. finn is a survivor however the radiation has caused him to go insane, this explains the references of candy,majic,adventure,girls, ect. all of witch are things a small boy would enjoy in his state of disillusion. he is also constantly saving creatures because deep inside he wanted to save his family. and the bombs hidden throughout the episodes are small pieces of reality creeping in his insane mind. and as the seasons in the episode progress more and more majic is there. this shows his increasing level of insanity! sorry about the bad spelling by the way.

Ive always noticed that most of the species that exist are glucose based organisms. Probably due to the excessive amount of candy and glucose based foods in America.

It kind of amazes me that on the outside it looks like another happy-go-lucky stupid cartoon. Although Its not, with all the "mushroom" war content in it. I actually can't believe they get away with half the stuff they put into that cartoon.