Why isn't Brigitte Bardot as famous as Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn?

I don't know about you but, IMO, Brigitte Bardot is one of the most beautiful actresses ever to have lived.

I find her much more attractive and beautiful than the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor etc...

But why isn't she as famous today? You don't see her image on posters and t-shirts like the actresses above. Very underrated.

@Marie - Brigitte Bardot was popular in the 60s and 70s (not the 50s).

Here are some pictures of her for those who don't know:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nyVkLRuHgms/TQRAcyUNwII/...

http://ticklemevintage.files.wordpress.com/2012/04...

http://jacquelinekimm.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/...

Favorite Answer

Her acting skills were limited and she spoke with an accent. She looked great for awhile but her looks faded fast and now she looks pretty terrible - too much tanning and sun damage, and obviously she hasn't bothered with plastic surgery.

At about 40 she retired from films to focus on being an animal rights activist. In recent years she's become involved in some controversial politics. So people think she's a bit crazy.

You have a look at the supermodels today though and it's obvious so many are trying to imitate her look, so the young Bardot is still remembered.

I just remembered that Bridget once met Marilyn and this is interesting

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vMjIML6KjwQ

Youtube thumbnail

&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvMjIML6KjwQ

Bridget came just after Marilyn. She was a bit younger. In the 1950s there was an influx of continental stars like Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn. People started appreciating their exotic appeal and Audrey's elegance/sophistication. So there was a sort of shift.

• hague

Brigitte Bardot Marilyn Monroe

Lillian Clara Jean Fay Bette Miriam Claudette Margaret Anita Eleanor Norma Sally Constance Madge Virginia Marie Vivien Joan Ingrid Ginger Veronica Olivia Marilyn Elizabeth Audrey Brigitte Kim Diana

• I agree. I think Bardot is a lot more pretty than Monroe (although I do think Monroe is pretty too.) She has a certain "je ne sais quoi" to her as well, she looks unique.

When Brigitte is older, she talks about how she and Marilyn Monroe met the Queen, and before they did, they were both in the bathroom and Brigitte was stunned by Marilyn. But Brigitte said in the interview that she always thought she was so inferior to Monroe. I almost dropped my mouth when I heard that. I personally think Brigitte is one of the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, and she is a lot more pretty than Monroe. That's just what I think though :)

• Robin

She was.... and had her season in the sun... but fame doesn't always turn into legend. The Hollywood machine is there to support their own celebrities and feed the industry... not raise up foreign actresses.

Here in Europe BB was a little closer to home and in France she is still a legend.

• Stevie

Are you kidding me? Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn were one of the most iconic and beautiful American actresses in that time

Honestly I googled that other chic and she wasn't that .... Stunning, as stunning as MM or AH

Probably because she was more famous in France, Jayne Mansfield is another beauty that is never mentioned as is Diana Dors.

Probably because her English wasn't very good and unlike the others you mention she didn't have the Hollywood machine behind her. I totally agree she was an absolute stunner.

Who

i googled her and i think that she just wasnt the image of the 1950s, btw audrey hepburn is the most beautiful classiest most graceful woman actresss who has ever lived.oh well maybe shes famous in france, and the united states hadnt adapted her into their hollywood society.her waist is amazing!