Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 6 years ago

How do you condition tap water for it to be suited in a tank with fishes?

im planning on setting up a starter tank. im new at this and i was wondering if you can use tap water. can fishes survive with no water filter or pump?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You buy tap water conditioner at the pet store. It says it right on the bottle. Follow all the directions carefully.

All fish require filtration, an air pump and a heater. Please, please, please Google it. There are hundreds of sites to get you started right with aquariums. Each fish will have it's own needs. Just like you wouldn't put a dog in a bird cage...you have to handle each fish properly.

NOTE:

It's a myth that a betta can live in a vase with no heat or filter. They can't. No more than you can live in your closet all day, eating, pooping...no. They don't need an air pump, but that's only because they have a special organ in their gills, and even then, they do better when they have one. ALL other fish need air pumps.

There are books you can read. I know...read a book?!? LOL!

Libraries have them for free. Ask the nice ladies at the desk, they'll show you where to find them.

• 6 years ago

You can use tap water, but you must treat it with a water conditioner, which is pretty cheap and easy to obtain.

A water filter is a must. It will help keep your water condition at a humane level for your fish. The filter cartridge is vital to maintaining healthy water parameters and helping keep your tank clean. Filters can also be obtained cheaply, depending on the size of your tank.

An air pump is not vital, and may actually be disturbing to some species. A filter with an output that disturbs the surface of the water will provide enough aeration for most "starter" fish.

You will not put fish in your tank immediately, but rather perform a "fishless cycle" (Google this term and research thoroughly) for several weeks to ready the tank for animals.

If you choose hardy species and your home remains at a constant, relatively warm temperature, a heater is not necessary.

• 6 years ago

Well first off, do not put the fish in the water right after you put in the tap water. Add all of the right liquids to help with chlorine and all but let the water sit in there for about 5 hours before you put the fish. There should also be a nitrogen cycle going on in order for the water to be safe. You should try and research something for that.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

You don't have to use a filter or a pump in your fish tank if it is less than 4 gallons. But if the gallon percentage is higher, I would definitely recommend it. And to condition water, you can use a water conditioner, or go to Walmart or Target and buy distilled water. And make sure that fish or any aquatic life you are planning to get have a big enough tank! :)

Source(s): Personal Experience 3+ years of fishkeeping
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ganal
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Tap water should have water conditioner added to it to remove chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. All fish require a filter and tropical fish require heaters, air pumps however are optional. The tank should also be cycled for 4-8 weeks with a source of ammonia (fish food, pure ammonia) so the tank is safe for the fish and the ammonia will not spike when you add them. http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php

• 6 years ago

You can use tap water, other wise you'll be paying an arm and a leg for bottled water.

I would suggest getting Stress Coat (petsmart or walmart) its adds in nutrients to relieve stress, keep their slime coat in tact and also neutralizes the chlorine and other harmful things in the water. Certain fish get very stressed and can die when you bring them home and the net scooping them out removes their slime coat. So this stuff helps in a lot of ways.

I love that stuff!

You can use just about any dechlorinator for the water, but the stress coat works great, plus I really think the fish like it :)

Another way is leave the water out for a few days and allow the chlorine to evaporate.

I would highly suggest buying some ph and ammonia test strips to keep at home, so you can check all the levels to make sure your scaly slimy friend stays happy and healthy!

Source(s): Petsmart associate for 2 years
  • 6 years ago

1. Tap water is fine as long as you use an aquarium water conditioner. Tap water contains chlorine which can kill the fish, and the aquarium water conditioner is used to neutralize chlorine.

http://petfishclub.com/aquarium-water-conditioner/

http://petfishclub.com/best-water-for-fish/

2. No fish can survive without an aquarium filter system. This is for aquarium nitrogen cycle to get rid of the toxic ammonia produced by fish.

http://petskeepersguide.com/fishless-cycle-nitroge...

• 6 years ago

You need to understand how a tank cycles, and you need to setup and cycle the tank a couple of months before introducing live fish, then introduce them only a couple at a time. Learn how to do it right at WWW.badmanstropicalfish.com. excellent forum with very knowledgeable people.

• best luck with asking a worker at the pet store or friend :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.