Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Will Monsanto ever be made to label their products as GMO, or continue to try avoiding doing so?

In 38 other countries any sort of genetically modified organism in any food made for human consumption is to be labeled as such. Why are we so loose with it in the US? Guess we don't care much about all the pesticides and cancer causing agents being sprayed onto our foods.

Update:

I didn't know about Washington. I heard Vermont was making a fuss about it and Monsanto tried suing them.

Update 2:

Bil - Most farmers are not. I come from a family of farmers. The plants a GMO seed ends up producing do not produce seeds when they are fully grown - therefore, they will lose money buying seeds from Monsanto again and again every year.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mandatory GMO food labeling is not a Federal Government issue yet. If it gets that far, it will either be a requirement of the FDA or the Surgeon General who require it. Currently, it is a state-by-state issue which is actually a very good thing.

One reason it is so beneficial for it to be on state-by-state basis is because it serves to educate the voters on the issues of GMO. Granted, Monsanto and other large companies with make massive contributions to fight the measures or, as in the case of Vermont, they will threaten to sue the state, but increased awareness is occurring and more people are ;earning about the potential harms of GMO crops. Last November, California Proposition 37 was narrowly defeated by a margin of 51.41% NO to 48.59% YES. This proposition would have required mandatory GMO food labeling in the state of California. The YES on 37 campaign was only able to raise 9.2 million dollars while the NO on 37 campaign raised 46 million dollars - thanks in part to the generous donations of: Monsanto ($8,112,867); E.I. Dupont De Nemours & Co. ($5,400,000); PepsiCo, Inc. ($2,585,400); Grocery Manufacturers Association ($2,002,000); Kraft Foods ($2,000,500) and many other corporations. It is amazing that all of these companies contributed all this money to block our right to know and yet the margin of victory for them was only 353,657 out of 12,531,085 valid votes.

Several other states were watching the California vote and have decided to work on similar measures. Not only does this mean that more people are being educated about GMO, Monsanto is being forced to spend a lot more money in their attempt to keep us blind, stupid, obese and sick.

In regards to the farmers buying seed, this is completely accurate. Furthermore, due to low morals and ethics, Monsanto creates "sweet" contracts with the farmers which frequently turn into debt traps for the farmers. It is becoming clear that Monsanto has an ulterior motive to their sales - put themselves into a position where they can sue the farmer, take his land and screw the farmer. There is a good reason why 5 million farmers are now suing Monsanto - the very company that is responsible for a farmer suicide every 30 minutes, for as much as 6.2 billion euros (around 7.7 billion US dollars).

You are also correct about the fear of cancer. When it comes to Monsanto's "Roundup ready Crops", these foods do absorb the active ingredient in Roundup called glyphosate and this chemical is really nasty. It has been linked to several diseases and ailments including: autism, gastrointestinal issues such as inflammatory bowel disease, chronic diarrhea, colitis and Crohn’s disease, obesity, cardiovascular disease, depression, cancer, cachexia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and ALS, among others.

I do foresee mandatory GMO food labeling coming sooner rather than later.

@ Myra: I agree with you. If you have a smartphone, go to buycott.com (http://www.buycott.com)/ and select campaigns like SAY NO TO GMO, SAY NO TO MONSANTO, SAY NO TO OPPOSERS OF PROP 37. When you go shopping, scan the barcode and it will tell you if you are boycotting that product. There are several campaigns to choose from.

• bil
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The farmers are the one buying Monsanto seeds so you should speak to Democrat Senators from farm states if there are any left except Di Fi and Boxer

• Myra
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Anything with the Monsanto name on I avoid buying. You can get a list of company names who use them, on line.

• 8 years ago

well in washington state their is a initiative that makes stores label GMO foods so as time goes along slowly it may happen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I would like to know this myself, they hide it because we might not buy that crap if we knew.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No because the illuminati control U.S.

• Not until we get our next prez

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.