Custom-Built Media PC hit a BSOD (Error Code 0x00000050)?

Hello, I'm new to building PCs and this PC I built was dedicated for medium to hardcore gaming and photo editing. I've worked really hard on getting all these parts but I will break down what has happened and what my specs are.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK Edition

CPU: Intel i5 3570k (Not overclocked)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (4GB x 2)

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

OS: Genuine Windows 7 Home Edition, Service Pack 1

Power Supply: Corsair CX600 600W Power Supply, Plus Bronze

CPU Heatsink: Aftermarket, Cooler Master Vortex Plus

Disk Drive: ASUS DVD-ROM Drive

Networking: ASUS PCE-N10 PCI Express Wireless Adapter

Video Card: Aftermarket, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 128-bit 1GB (Used, bought off from a friend)

I built this computer in July 9 of this year. It was working fine without any error or whatsoever. About a week later I added the wireless adapter. It was working fine without any error once more. Now, on July 21 I added my friend's Old GeForce GTX 650 video card and it was working fine without any problems.

On July 30, I exprienced my first Blue Screen Error and it instantly restarted my computer. I didn't know what to do so I thought that it was a freak accident. Funny side note though, Google Chrome kept crashing for some reason and while I was on Google Chrome the Blue Screen occurred. Yesterday, I checked my computer to see if it was okay and it started and ran without any problems in the morning. I checked again after work and the Blue Screen showed up and restarted my computer again. Today, after doing some research, I figured out how to read the Blue Screen by shutting of the automatic reboot. I checked the numbers next to the STOP code on the blue screen and the first sequence of numbers right after the STOP was (0x00000050). The day I recieved my second blue screen I took out my RAM and set it to the alternate RAM slots and my screen would not display anything. If I placed the RAM back in I got the normal visuals again. Today, I think I may have found a solution... Could it be my Video Card?? I updated all my drivers too.

Reason for my conclusion:

1. My screen displayed bright pink visual pixels and squares. Refreshing the screen wouldn't help, but only windows would remove the squares and pixels. This occured right after the first Blue Screen incident.

2. I can't remember hearing a clicking sound of the PCI-Express latch that locks the card into place.

3. The computer was performing absolutely well before this week. I didn't tweak around with the settings or BIOS whatsoever.

4. The Video Card is USED.

OR

Could it be the RAM?

Reason for my conclusion:

1. I noticed before that when I checked my System Properties I would see my computer state how much RAM I had in my computer, and next to it, how much was actually usable... Like this: "RAM: 8GB (7.46GB Usable)

2. Now that the errors occurred, I only see how much RAM I have in my computer. It went from "

RAM: 8GB (7.46GB Usable) to just "RAM: 8GB".

Any solutions people? I would hate myself for wasting $800 on this project. One of my things I've wanted to accomplish in my bucket list. Please help. Thanks!

Best Answer

0x50 indicates it is a memory problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you which memory, so it could be your RAM or your video memory (on your graphics card).

As you said that the problem didn't start until after you installed a used graphics card, my guess would be video memory.

I would switch back to whatever GPU you were using before you installed the used card and see if that stops the BSOD.

You might also run http://www.memtest86.com/ to check your RAM just to be sure.

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.healthboostpc.com

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bug check has a value of 0x00000050. This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.