Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Bahston asked in SportsBasketball · 8 years ago

Bill Russell or Larry bird?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Larry Bird. He was good at everything skill wise. He was a great scorer especially from outside (one of the greatest shooters ever) as well as a pretty good corer inside. He was a great passer( 6.3 assists per game career average), not something that small forewards are traditionally for. His career average of 10 boards per game tells how much of a good rebounder he was,too. He was also really good at stealing. The only thing he lacked was athleticism, and because of that he wasnt able to be a great onball defender. Bill russell on the other hand wasnt spectacular in anything besides defense and rebounding. Yeah i get it he won 11 rings in his 13 year career but it wasnt like he did it by himself. He had a bunch of hall of famers as his support cast and was apart of a team that was on another planet compared to the rest 9 teams in the league. I do appreciate russell for being propably the best defender in league history and as being one of the best rebounders too, but i do think that larry bird is a better overall player.

• 8 years ago

Larry Bird

Best all around player ever!

Red Aurabauch said that if he had to pick 1 player from the history of the NBA to start a team with it would be Larry Bird.

Plus Russel's teams were packed with Hall of Famers, 6 on his team at any given time. The Celtics won 11 rings, not Russel by himself.

Plus Russel shot 42% FROM THE FIELD CAREER!

And Red Coached Russel for 9 years.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

To build a team around I would take Bill Russell, I would also take him for defense. Scoring wise Larry Bird is better.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Two completely different players cannot really say which is better because they are different positions

More impact on the league: Bill Russel

Better overall player: Larry Bird because of shooting ability and white man swag

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I go with Larry Bird. Russel had deep bench in his entire career & the 80s era was stronger compare to the 60s era.

• 8 years ago

I would choose Bill Russell because he not only changed the dynamic of the league and led the celtics into a dynasty of NBA championships but he was a strong defender and could also score with made him the perfect pack and he also had size to but bird isnt that bad either but from a celtic fan and a basketball fan Bill would be a bigger piece

Source(s): Celtic Fan
  • 8 years ago

Thats tough. Bill russell re evoulutionized how we thought bout centers. Id want larry bird on my team as a player. But bill rusell was a big leader.

Source(s): Nba
  • 8 years ago

Bill Russell(11 Rings)

• Dr. J.
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

If I had the choice of either player to start my team , I would go with Larry Bird barely. I personally think Bill Russell as a player is slightly overrated (Wilt dominated the individual statistics), but no one can doubt the championship teams he was on.

• AGM
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Bill Russell

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.