Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 7 years ago

Will this lens be okay for outdoor family portraits?

I'll be shooting on a a crop body, but I am considering using a full frame lens. Possibly the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED

The shoot is going to take place outdoors, and it will be a family of five plus a dog.

f/2.8 might be too shallow, but I'm not concerned about that because this lens could double as a decent macro. I do realize that using a 60mm FX on a crop body will increase that focal length by a lot, but I'm not sure if it will make it too tough to shoot with. Another reason I am considering this FX lens is because I am planning on upgrading to full frame as opposed to a APS- C sized sensor in the near future.

Is this worth the money or should I invest in some other glass? It must be a AF-S lens for spontaneous shots.

Thanks in advance.

Im trying to keep the price under

$700, if i have to go higher it cant be much more than that.

• B K
    Favorite Answer

It'll be absolutely perfect for single person portraits on a camera with a cropped sensor - I often shoot portraits with a 60mm prime f/2.8 (macro) on a cropped sensor camera - it will be approximately equivalent to 90mm on full frame camera.

It might be a little too tight for group shots, unless you can get far enough away from the subjects.

It might be a little wide on full frame camera - although still acceptable, you'd be better with at least an 80mm on a full frame camera for portraits.

• Alan

60mm on an APS-C will be good. For the full frame a 105mm is best.

Photography is both an art and a science. As to the art ingredient, there are no rules; you are free to follow your heart.

As to the science; people have a mental self-image of themselves derived from what they see in the make-up or shaving mirror. Should you duplicate this perspective, the resulting image will likely quash statements such as " I don't photograph well".

As a rule-of-thumb, this perspective is achieved by using a lens that is 2x through 2.5x of the diagonal measure of the format you are using. For the full frame, this is 43mm x 2 or 2.5. Rounded this works out to 85mm through 105mm.

For the compact digital this is 30mm x 2 = 60mm or better 2.5 x 30 = 75mm. In other words the range is 60mm through 75mm.

This math delivers the needed perspective taking into account he degree of magnification needed make an 8x10 inch size image that will be placed on a dresser or mantel and viewed from a distance of about 1 yard or 1 meter. This is the stuff of portraiture.