Poll: which domain name is best, in your opinion?

The person's name is Robert M. Smith, a.k.a. Bob M. Smith., and Bob wants to make a personal website that's professional-sounding enough.

What do you think sounds better? Why? (I'm especially interested in the why, and the why is how I'll select a best answer)

BobSmith.* -- .net, .org,, .info, .us, and .name are available

Bob-Smith.* -- .com, .net, .org, .info .us, and .name are available

BobMSmith.* -- .com,.net, .org, .info, and .us are available

RobertMSmith.* -- .us and .name are available

RobertSmith.* -- .us and .name are available

Bob-M-Smith.* -- .com, .net, .org, .info, and .us are avilable

• Lark
    Favorite Answer

There are relevant variables not included here that should be taken into consideration. The main one is how established he already is, and what name he has used while building his reputation. Yes, Robert does sound more polished than the diminutive Bob, but if this man is in his 40s and has been going by Bob his entire life it would make more sense to stick with that name. If you were going to make a website for Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise you wouldn't make it BradleyPitt.org or ThomasCruise.com. If you were wanting to discuss hiring Mandy Moore and Katie Holmes with your colleagues you wouldn't refer to them as Amanda Moore and Katherine Holmes. Michael J. Fox keeps the middle initial; most others do not.

What has Bob gone by all his life, and where is he in terms of his career right now? If he's young and still on the launchpad of his career then he can choose what he wishes to go by. If he's already accrued experience and taken off, he should stick with that name unless he hates it and strongly wishes to go by something else.

If .com is available it would be the best because it's the most widely used. Next best would once again depend on who Bob Smith is and what his site will be about. .org is generally for non-profit organizations, primary and secondary schools (colleges use .edu), educational sites, and the like rather than for individuals. .net used to be for companies providing networking services but is now used by others. .Info was for providing information. The .us domain is mainly used by US cities and city-based services rather than individuals.

RobertSmith

Robert sounds way more professional than Bob. Bob is like an informal nickname you would be called by your friends. It just looks and sounds better.

I am biased, my brother is Robert and I never liked Bob as a diminutive, he was always Robb or Robin when very little.

Diminutives are fine for family familiarity but have no place in professional use.

RobertSmith.

His real name is Robert and for a 'professional-sounding' domain name, I think he should stick to his real name instead of 'Bob'. The 'M' simply adds unnecessary length to the name. I also don't like dashes in website names, they're just plain bothersome. Obviously, the easier to read and the shorter the domain name, the better. RobertSmith is simple, succinct and easy to remember . The downside is that only .us and .name are available but I still stick with which, according to me, is the best.

Have a happy cheery day :D