Mika asked in SportsCycling · 6 years ago

Is it ok to ride a bike on the sidewalk without a helmet?

so im 14 years old, and i wanna exercise or tone my legs with riding a bike on the sidewalk for like 30 minutes and the problem is i dont wanna wear a helmet nor i dont have one.And is it legal not to? or the police will chase me and give me a ticket? Pls answer asap. Thanks !

Best Answer

Yea I hate helmet hair too. That's an interesting question and not easily answered. A random check of ten states found that only one (Georgia) actually prohibits bicycles from using the sidewalk. Some cities and towns have local ordinances prohibiting sidewalk use in certain areas such as the downtown business area. As for helmet laws, most refer to "bicycle use in public areas" which would include sidewalks. By the way, riding on the sidewalk actually increases your risk of injury from a car due to intersections and cross walks. Check out the stats in the link below.

• John M

The police can give you a ticket for no helmet and riding on the sidewalk. Better spend the money on a helmet now.

A) Helmet laws vary from one city to the next. Check locally.

B) What is more likely to be illegal is riding on the SIDEWALK! Bicycles are legally defined "vehicles" - EVERYWHERE. And should be ridden on the streets. See link,,,

http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/

C) Smart cyclists of ANY age wear a good, well ventilated helmet. Idiots do not.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9/189-731...

I never wear one its hypocritical but I think you should it doesn't take much speed to get a head injury I've biked for 15 years I have allot of experience one of my friends ran into a car hit his head and needed open brain surgery wear a helmet its worth your life

• Tim

Most states do not have laws requiring helmets, but it is illegal to ride on sidewalks almost everywhere.

I feel your pain dude I want the same things but the police will give you a ticket if you don't have one it sucks but good luck

Thts normal

always wear a helmett.