Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

how does john green get his characters to be so believable?

I really just want reassurance because it's pretty impossible to follow a path paved with perfection.

I want my characters to be able to be imagined in my reader's mind, and stay there when they're about to got to sleep, and even after they've finished the book. I need help. Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: thanks Kelley, after you answered I realized how much he did that.

Diane - I'm sure you know a lot more than me since I'm still an adolescent, and I'm not going to sit here and tell with you that I've got some chance, but I've got a reasonable one like anyone else that works at it everyday. So your criticism is constructive, to an extent, but also misplaced.

• Kelley
    Favorite Answer

I've noticed that Green describes his characters by their actions rather than by their appearance. By what they say more so than how they look. I imagine Green spends time observing real teens, both the average and the extraordinary, in order to create realistic characters.

No one can give you the slightest bit of credible reassurance that you are even remotely adequate as a writer, let alone ready to follow a path paved with perfection. Probably you are not very talented at all; most people aren't.