can someone check my latin translation and chart?

Write the translation below each sentence.

Ben Hur -- Have you seen the movie? There is a great chariot race scene!

1. Adventu Romanorum et equitatus eorum, res Iudaeorum (gen. pl., of the Jews) mutaverunt.

After the arrival of the Romans and their calvary, everything of the Jews had changed.

2. Spes et fides Iudaeorum (gen. pl., of the Jews) erant in ducibus. Judah Ben Hur erat unus ducum (gen., pl.).

The hope and faith of the Jews was in the general. Judah Ben Hur was one of their leaders.

3. Sed, Ben Hur a Romanis captus est et, nunc servus, in navibus et in circo multos dies egit.

But, Ben Hur was captured by the Romans, now a slave, he labored on ships and in wandered for many days.

4. In Circo Maximo Romae, manibus equos et quadrigam contra equos et quadrigam Romani egit; species eius in Circo Maximo multis Iudaeis ( dat, pl., Jews) virtutem donavit.

In the Circus Maximus in Rome, with strength and valor he raced his horses and chariot against a Roman's horses and chariot; the sight of him in the Circus Maximus gave courage to many Jews.

5. Romanus casum sustinuit, equi *** passibus celeribus cucurrerunt, cornua audita sunt, et Ben Hur omnes pepulit.

The Roman withstood a fall, the horses galloped fast, the horns were heard, and Ben Hur defeated everyone.

6. Tandem, Ben Hur suam domum videre potuit.

At last, Ben Hur could see his own home.

Hints:

circus -- the Roman racetrack or stadium for chariot races

quadriga -- four horse chariot

Idioms with AGO, AGERE, EGI, ACTUS - DO, DRIVE, ACT

equum agree -- to drive a horse 
praedam agere --to carry off loot
vitam agere --to live a life
de officiis agere --to carry on duties
multum agree --to do a lot 
gratias agere --to give thanks
causam agere --to plead a case
consilium agree --to make a plan

7. Fill in the chart with all endings (five cases, singular and plural) for all five declensions. After you have done so, memorize all the endings. Then, print it out and use it, as needed.

Singular Endings

singular endings

1st m/f 2nd m 2nd n 3rd m/f 3rd n 4th m/f 4th n 5th f

nom a us um -- -- us u es

gen ae i i is is us us ei

dat ae o o i i ui u ei

acc am um um em -- um u em

abl a o o e e (i) o u e

plural

1st m/f 2nd m 2nd n 3rd m/f 3rd n 4th m/f 4th n 5th f

nom ae i a es a (ia) us ua es

gen arum orum orum um um (ium) uum uum erum

dat is is is ibus ibus ibus ibus ebus

acc as os a es a (ia) us ua es

abl is is is ibus ibus ibus ibus ebus

thanks!!!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

My corrections in CAPITALS.

1. Adventu Romanorum et equitatus eorum, res Iudaeorum (gen. pl., of the Jews) mutaverunt.

After the arrival of the Romans and their calvary, THE CIRCUMSTANCES of the Jews CHANGED. (PERFECT NOT PLUPERFECT)

2. Spes et fides Iudaeorum (gen. pl., of the Jews) erant in ducibus. Judah Ben Hur erat unus ducum (gen., pl.).

The hope and faith of the Jews was in THEIR LEADERS. Judah Ben Hur was one of their leaders.

3. Sed, Ben Hur a Romanis captus est et, nunc servus, in navibus et in circo multos dies egit.

But Ben Hur was captured by the Romans AND, now a slave, he WORKED on ships and IN THE CIRCUS for many days.

4. In Circo Maximo Romae, manibus equos et quadrigam contra equos et quadrigam Romani egit; species eius in Circo Maximo multis Iudaeis ( dat, pl., Jews) virtutem donavit.

In the Circus Maximus in Rome, WITH HIS OWN HANDS he DROVE his horses and chariot against a Roman's chariot; the sight of him in the Circus Maximus gave courage to many Jews.

5. Romanus casum sustinuit, equi *** passibus celeribus cucurrerunt, cornua audita sunt, et Ben Hur omnes pepulit.

The Roman SUSTAINED a fall, the horses RAN WITH FAST STRIDES, the horns were heard, and Ben Hur defeated everyone.

6. Tandem, Ben Hur suam domum videre potuit.

At last, Ben Hur could see his own home.

As for 7, Wikipedia has tables for all five Latin noun declensions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension

There is also:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:Lati...

The endings you have given for each of the five declensions appear to be correct according to the above sources.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.