Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 7 years ago

Why are Americans so obsessed with killing everything?

The American people are obsessed with guns, obsessed with shooting everything in sight, obsessed with hunting, obsessed with having deer or moose on their wall and are obsessed with killing everything in sight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-...

VERY CLEVER.

Favorite Answer

I dare say Britain has a LONG history of violence, murder, genocide and atrocities. British colonialism was responsible for millions of people around the world being killed for centuries. It was the Brits who paid mercenaries to kill Americans during the American revolutionary war. Entire American families were brutally murdered because of this. This also happened in Africa, China, India and other parts of the globe. British hunters in Africa decimated entire species in their trophy quests. Despite what the Brits did to America we fought to save their behind from the Nazis. Despite the strict gun laws in Britain people are still murdered by guns. And now Britain has turned into a socialist repressive country where residents have little means to defend themselves from criminals. Oh and lets not forget the wolves and other wild animals that were wiped out by your people. Unlike America where a family can feed themselves on wild game most Brits are dependant of commercially produced food. You don’t have millions of deer, moose, elk, buffalo, mountain goat, mountain sheep, caribou that America has do you? Because of good wildlife management America has more game in some places than they did in the 17th century. Fact is the USA has more land set aside as wildlife sanctuaries than the entire country of Britain. Just the state of Alaska makes Britain look like the tiny spot of earth it is!

I would point out more to you but I have to eat my juicy moose steak, king crab and freshly caught shrimp for breakfast now; all from my hunting and fishing here in Alaska.

It IS media. Would you feel relatively safe from violent crime if you lived on a hypothetical island somewhere in, say, the Pacific Ocean with a population that remained stable at about 500 people and about once every 20 or 30 years a couple of people would have a severe spat and, in the heat of the moment, one killed the other? I think I would feel reasonably safe. If you agree that this is a reasonably safe and acceptable murder rate, then you necessarily agree that the murder rate in the United States of America is reasonably safe BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME. What makes the data SCARY is its presentation in a sensational manner which is designed to keep you glued to the set where you will watch advertisements. Also, you may FEEL as though your locality had less crime when you were younger because you didn't hear about it twice a day, but that's not likely to be your reality. The US hasn't changed. Mass murders involving children perpetrated in despicable ways that boggle the mind have ALWAYS happened. At one time they fueled the rationale for lobotomizing mental patients. Now they fuel the rationale for the erosion of the Bill of Rights. Don't get caught up. Take a deep breath, calm down, keep a cool head. Stay in front of the wave, don't be a sheep trotting happily to slaughter. When you say "Why have Americans become so stupid and psychotic" make absolutely sure that you are not describing yourself. Also, make sure you are not deluding yourself.

The obsession is actually that of NOT being killed by someone else with a gun. As it would appear that places like the EU not only have an obsession with hunting (still allowed) but also sponsor State sanctioned and approved MASS murder. A couple world wars, the Balkans and other fine tourist attractions prove that out. So, lets not go world wide and the ebb and flow of Muslim terrorism. OK...

Something we Americans wish to avoid is both the criminal and state killings. Hunting only keeps our aim and gun control practice honed well. It also helps keeping in all the little pricks (who like to tell others what to do and how to best serve them) in proper place. Except we stupidly elect a few of them to office.

I go out shooting about twice a month when finances allow and boy howdy ( That American enough for ya? ) do I kill me some soda cans and paper targets. And oh, the horror of the hundreds and hundreds of clay trap disk I have blow out of the sky launched from my skeet launcher and brought down with either my 12 or 20 gauge shot guns. I have nightmares from all the death to inanimate objects I have caused over the years.

Ok that was a bit of a smart *** answer to a smart *** question, but I am trying to prove a point. I have shot ten's of thousands of rounds/shells down range at 3 different firing ranges and have never killed anything with any of my firearms. To me it's a hobby. And yes I have been planning on going hog hunting because they are such a pest animal to the farmlands and woods in the Southern U.S. but have not gone yet. So for now I'm still 'clean' without having killed anything with my weapons.

Tomorrow I'm taking out the Pietta reproduction 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver that shoots black powder just for fun, haven't shot that in over a year and got the itch.

You watch too much TV and movies and no clue want the average American is like. Trophy hunting is either illegal or highly regulated anywhere in the country. So few Americans experience the type of hunt in that photo that for all practical purposes you are talking about 0% of Americans. If you don't think rich and powerful Brits don't go safari hunting in Africa, you are deluded.

As for deer hunting, where does the meat in your steak and kidney pie come from? 95% of Americans hunt deer for food AND, because deer have no more natural predators, hunting regulates the population of the species to manageable levels. What kind of character does it take for a person who consumes meat that was domestically raised and butchered, to criticize people in a different culture who choose to harvest their own meat? Unless you are capable of actually going to a slaughter house and slitting the throats of the totally helpless cows you eat, you are a hypocritical coward.

What good Americans are really obsessed with is liberty, independence, personal responsibility, and self-reliance. It was that kind of spirit that kicked the King's troops out of our country about 230 years ago.

We're not obsessed with killing everything. I could ask why you're obsessed with sweeping generalizations which are not true? Or I could ask why you're obsessed with someone else's business?

Or I could ask you why you're obsessed with trolling the hunting section?

Wouldn't surprise me if the answers to all these questions were the same.

And son, let me give you a little tip -- If we were actually obsessed with killing everything in sight, there would be a lot more dead, because as you can see, we're pretty damn good at it.

And ya know? An interesting side effect to being known for being pretty damn good at killing, is that it definitely curbs the number of people bold enough to attempt transgressions and atrocities.

Because even the stupidest of evil still has a sense of self-preservation.

• Mrbill

The killing, murders and self defense shootings are actually down. There are big efforts working to take gun rights in the US. From the President to the media. Was predicted and in the 2nd term Obama wanted to do great damage to gun ownership. its become so slanted some groups feel shootings and coverage are set up.

Our murder rate is down, yet still high in some areas. Stats are becoming clear and this alone should tell you something. 1/2 of the total murders are commited by black males under the age of 35. Thats a fact. Where I live we have not had a true murder in years. the last 7 were committed by knives.

• Angus

You do realize that the money spent on that hunt and the meat from that Rhino feed a couple hundred people for at least a week and that nice horn was not allowed to be imported into the US.And those big elephant guns were invented by the Brits for the sole purpose of taking African game don't you ? Naw...you're too bloody stupid

Your question seems slightly askew as in point of fact when you look around the world people all over are busy engaged in killing each other without regard for race, creed or color. New from Iraq shows over a thousand people killed in bombings and shootings there this week, hundred killed in rioting in Egypt, list seems almost endless. What has caused you to eliminate everybody else and focus on only the americans?

You don't live in the US from the looks of things and you have no idea what you're talking about. You use sweeping generalizations that are incorrect from the get go. The amount of hunting that takes place has been declining over the years since more people have been buying sporting weapon and personal defense weapons rather than hunting weapons. Crime has been going down for years and that includes the murder rate. If what you said was true our daily crime rate would look like our yearly crime rates. And most murders are done by people who already have criminal records and it is already illegal for them to have guns.

But don't let reality get in the way of your little rant.

• Bigham

Because unlike Britain, we hunt and fish our wildlife in a sustainable manner. So we actually still have lots of wildlife to hunt.

Someone from a country that no longer has much hunting culture, partially because it's hunted so much of its wildlife to localized extinction and partially because it has urbanized so much that it's pushed wildlife out and let it die without a habitat, ragging on a culture that still hunts because it still has wildlife due to proper management of hunting and a less urbanized lifestyle that lives within nature rather than paving it over is...well...more than a little ironic.

I'd also love to know where you think your steak comes from. Are you aware it comes from an animal that was recently alive? Humans eat meat. To do so they kill animals. That is universal, whether hunted or popped in the head with a .22 in a slaughterhouse. Trophy hunts that are not for meat or to deal with an overpopulation problem are rare, and (in yet more irony) are mostly done by British elite that go to Africa to trophy hunt. Americans going to Africa for big game hunts is far less common than British doing it.

The truth is a b*tch sometimes.