Does Germany allow douel citizenship?

Hi, I am an American who is married to a German national and have been living here for 5years. I am going to apply for German citizenship, but I heard that if I become a German citizen, I will have to renounce my American citizenship. Is this true? I don't mind giving it up, I was just wondering if this is true.

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Germany only allows dual citizenship in very restricted circumstances. You will have to renounce US citizenship.

One of these restricted circumstances is if a child acquires another citizenship as well as German at birth, as is the case with Norbert G's children. German father, born on US soil, therefore they are both. But it's very easy to lose - if they do the slightest thing towards changing citizenship, they will be no longer German. In fact, if they join the US armed forces, they will lose German citizenship unless they apply to keep it.

That doesn't apply to you because it will be a voluntary decision to become German. Therefore it will be required that you renounce US citizenship. The only exceptions to this rule would be if you are a citizen of another EU country, Switzerland, or another country that Germany has a treaty with about this, and as far as I'm aware there is no such treaty with the USA.

Site below indicates they do expect you to denounce your American citizenship...or it is automatic when you get German citizenship. However, the U.S. government does NOT recognize that and still considers you an American citizen... You should verify this with the American embassy. i am an American living in Mexico and technically, Mexico requires you to renounce your American citizenship when you get Mexican citizenship...but the U.S. gov't does NOT recognize this . They still consider you to be an American citizen with an American passport. YOU SHOULD "mind" giving it up! That is a really big deal. You never know what the future may bring and if you may need or want to return to the U.S. Also, your children will be American citizens as long as YOU are and you register their birth at the American embassy. This could be extremely important to them in the future. They may want to go to college or live in the U.S. At least be sure they have the opportunity open to that. Be SURE before you take German citizenship. The future may not be what you expect.

No, Germany allows NO such double citizenship! In case of getting a German passport, you will first have to drop your former citizenship ! Double citizenship is exclusively possible to children who were born by a German parent abroad... like my daughter who was born in the Philippines, thus she has 2 passports now, one for being born as a Filipina, twice for having a German father. Such is the ONLY way for a German to hold 2 passports. Thus, once you'd apply for it, you will first have to clear your US tax bills (!), then drop your American citizenship. Otherwise, German government has always disliked anybody owning double citizenship.

Source(s): own experience

You can have it double for a while. But it is only for Transition. Temporary.

Not forever. After a maximum of 15 years having both citizenships you finally have to decide.

Then there is no point of return.

Source(s): A turkish guy whom I know had that issue.
  • OC

Hi David,

as a U.S. citizen you can add another citizenship and won't lose it (my 2 kids where born here in the U.S., have U.S. citizenship and also German citizenship). However, as far as I know you have to live in Germany for at least 8 years before you can apply for German citizenship.

Good luck.

Source(s): I am from Germany.