Which state will I vote in while at college for non-Presidential elections?

I have lived in Maryland for most of my life. I recently registered to vote in the state. However, I am moving down to Louisiana for college. I'll still be living with my parents in Maryland during the summers, most of the time.

I understand that for Presidential elections I can choose which of the two states I want to vote in (I think). However, which state will I vote in for other races, like Gubernatorial, Congress, Senate, state government, city elections, mayoral, etc. ?

Also, do I need to "re-register" to vote in the state of Louisiana once I go down there?

Thanks!

Note: after 4 or 5 years in Louisiana, I plan on moving to another state, probably California, Tennessee, or Georgia, for law school.

Favorite Answer

Unless the GOP has changed the rules in your state, you can usually vote in the state in which you are going to college.

Or you can get an absentee ballot and vote in your home state.

• Rick31

When I was in college, I voted by absentee ballot in my home state, even though I went to school in another state. I returned to my home state after college, so if you plan to do that you probably want to vote absentee in Maryland. If you plan to stay in Louisiana after college then you may want to register there, but there will be residency requirements there.

• Tmess2

You can register to vote in any state in which you reside. It is up to you whether you reside in Louisiana or Maryland. (The legal question is whether you intend to permanently return to Maryland after you finish college, buts since that is a question of future intent election officials have to abide by your decision. If, like most college students, your intent is to go wherever you find work that is enough to support the conclusion that you have abandoned your status as a resident of Maryland.)

If you want to vote in Louisiana, you have to register in Louisiana.

the state where you register to vote is the only state you can vote in

You should vote in the state of your residence which is Maryland.

get an absentee ballot from your home state