Why do some compare pedophilia to Homosexuality?

I read an article where pedophiles are trying to get the same rights as homosexuals. And that pedophilia is a sexuality not a sickness.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

paedophilia is an attraction to pre-pubescent children

there are other categories of 'philia' that apply to post pubescent (hebephilia) and adolescent children (ephebophilia)

we also use the word, paedophile - in a less technical sense - to apply to all people who have a preference for children under the age of consent.

this is going to be less precise, because there are different ages of consent all over the world - even within the same country (USA), within different states

the common thread is 'age of consent'..... an age when the state rules that a person is mature enough to understand the concept of sex, and give consent for it.

consent - good

non-consent = bad

you cannot compare paedophilia (where consent is impossible) to homosexuality.

• 7 years ago

Probably most of those people compare pedophilia to homosexuality because they are bigots and because people fear pedophilia.

But pedophilia can be pretty well compared to heterosexuality or homosexuality. Pedophilia is a sexuality. Pedophilia is a persistent predominant sexual and romantic attraction to prepubescent (and early pubescent in some definitions) children (boys, girls or both). Pedophiles get sexually aroused by children, pedophiles can fall in love with a child. Pedophiles often start realizing, that they are attracted to children, at puberty. It's pretty possible, that the predispositions for pedophilia are inborn. Some people are exclusive pedophiles, thy aren't sexually or romantically attracted to adults at all. If you change prepubescent children to adults of the opposite sex, you get heterosexuality, if you change it to adults of the same sex, you get homosexuality.

The main problem is that people don't know what pedophilia means. So if you talk about pedophilia, it's good to define the term first, but a lot of people don't even bother to read the definition and happily talks about a totally different thing. If you compare pedophilia to homosexuality the way I did above, so what? It's what the things are, it doesn't say neither about pedophilia nor about homosexuality if they are good or bad.

The reason why so many people have problem with calling pedophilia a sexuality is that according to some weird logic I don't understand pedophilia being a sexuality would mean that sex with child should be legal. But really, do we prohibit sex with children because "pedophilia is sickness" or because it can harm children (directly or indirectly, that's not important here)?

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

It's an old belief, left over from a time when people actually believed that homosexuality and pedophilia were one and the same. Most people who have actually researched these things know that there is a world of difference between the two, but some people still insist that they're the same thing. This, of course, is nonsense, as anyone can see the differences. The main thing that seperates the two is the word "consent".

• 7 years ago

General ignorance and a lack of education I would presume.

Sexuality denotes attraction towards a specific gender(s) (or the lack thereof) whereas pedophilia is an underlying preference towards minors. So basically pedophilia is a fetish if anything.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

They're uneducated.

Many people who don't ahve experience with the LGBT community or know any gay people, can sometimes ahve uninformed opinions about them.

If you were grown up or told that homosexuals were dangerous and you had never met a homosexual, some people won't know any different.

Sometime it's jsut pure bigotry and ignorance, sometimes they're uneducated about homosexuals.

• 7 years ago

One person on here told me that getting mad at at gay marriage is okay, because it's like people getting mad that a 13 year old is dating a 35 year old because they love each other. And I actually totally get what they were saying, but I still support homosexuality because I'm bi and like it that way.

Source(s): Idek
  • 7 years ago

Because they are STUPID!

How is gay sex with two consenting adults the same as PEDOPHILIA?!

Like come on people. Just use your brain for one second.

• 7 years ago

Because the news keeps telling on them ....http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/married-homosexua...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Ignorance, mostly.

The issue is INFORMED CONSENT. Two adults can consent to sex, kids can't.

• Ewen
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Because they're idiots who don't understand the principle of "informed consent".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.