Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do I write? I have written around 20 pages and I have so much swirling in my head,?

but something always happens! I have an outline and everything, but I either get bored or distracted. This mainly happens when I'm trying to fill the gap between the main events. I also need to lengthen my writing, I'm only on chapter four and I'm already a quarter of the way through the story! This series has so much potential and I'm very excited about it, but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you're on chapter 4 and it's almost over, it's not a series. Sounds more like you have a story that would fit one novel but you so want a series you're filling it with junk and hoping no one notices. We notice.

Sounds also like you've never learned how to write a novel, so learn how and then you have less of these problems.

Hi! I have the same problem. I started dozens of stories and never finished them. Reason: I ran out of ideas, got bored... like you.

But now I am writing on a longer story. Oh my gosh, 6 months now!

Maybe this helps you: (helped me)

- I found a reason, a motivation: I told my self = I want to improve my english and have a project aside from studying (I am not native speaker)

- Somebody reads my story (only because of grammatical errors, but that keeps me motivated)

- I tell myself: It needs substance not length. Rather have only 20 pages but 20 interesting pages

- Good outline (you have that)

- the ending of the story

How I started:

1) I wrote the "main scenes" in chronological order. => 90 pages

2) Very important! Come to an end. If you don't have an ending, you won't finish your story. (you can still change the ending.)

3) Don't revise before you finish writing your story. Rather finish the first book and then begin with the 2nd.

4) Once you have your main frame, start revising (things might change and you get ideas for "fillers") => resolved in 170 pages

5) Revise from the beginning: ask yourself whether it is important to mention these things (the beginning must be really gripping) the text might become shorter or longer => add descriptions, additional scenes, characters, look at nuances etc.

You said you have to lengthen your writing. Don't think like that! My father is English Professor and he always tells me to write only the important things. If the story resolves to be 100 pages, so what! Readers might be even more attracted to short stories than boring novels. Length does not count!

But: You can lengthen your story with more descriptive writing etc.

Good luck with your story and hopefully I was able to help you :)

It doesn't seem as though you have writer's block so much as it is that you have too much going on in your mind. One problem might be that you know everything that's going on, and you just want to get to that part. You know the plot, you have an outline, but now you have to write in all the details, dialogue, description, etc. This can be kind of annoying because you know what's happening, you just need to write it in. But, writing is hard work. There isn't any technology that can just project your thoughts into well formed sentences on a page/screen. It's about patience. You need to be able to stick it out.

The same thing happens to me around the 100th page or so no matter what I'm writing. I know the next step, but whenever I pick up the pen, my mind wanders. You just want to get to the good parts, but for readers to understand the good parts, they need to know the details. Just imagine the good feeling you'll have when you have a completed manuscript in front of you, and you'll be able to get through it! :)

Saying you're a quarter way through on chapter four isn't necessarily a bad thing. Chapters all vary in length and plot significance, so you might have a lot squeezed into those chapters. It's better to have a short and powerful book than a dragged out when. Just think about those TV soap operas!

If you're still excited with the idea, then I'm sure that you can get through the impatience of putting the details down. Just get your ideas down, and worry about addition/deletion of details during the editing. Don't slow down your writing process thinking about editing.

Good luck!

• ?

It sounds like you think you're writing a finial draft and you're also an experienced and established writer.

First of all, this is a rough draft. Finish that, read it over, make notes and then write the next draft.

Second, you're not a professional author are you? How many years have you been writing? How many full-length novels have you written? Is this a new thing for you to do this? Then stop expecting that you will produce a series. You may not even have what it takes to complete a novel yet. Writing takes practice. It takes years of writing to be able to find your voice, learn to write scenes and develop a good plot and conflict.

You need to spend a few years writing. If you write every day, or at least 3-4 times a week, you're off to a good start. Cut out TV. Read good books. Free-journal. Make writing your life. And do this for the next few years of your life.

If you don't have the patience to pay those dues, then forget it.

First I would say disabuse yourself of the notion that there's anything mystical or magical or romantic about the writing process . You would not come here and ask "How do I paint my kitchen? I start but then I lose interest, I don't know if I'll be able to finish it. " Do not fancy it's even a tiny bit less nonsensical to say that about writing. Do it or don't do it but for heavens sake don't be one of those people who talks about having too many ideas when in fact you don't have enough ideas to finish one thing, ever. I'd stake a year's salary that your problem does not stem from too much "swirling around in your head" but is either a of lack of talent or lack of self-discipline. Probably both.

First, fix your grammar. In the title you have a comma then a question mark. That is not allowed, I'm a grammar nazi and it bugs me. Sorry.

Second, add in detail. Go back, re-write, add detail to your writing. Use similes, metaphors, personification and all that fancy stuff to make it so the reader feels like they're there.

Third, push through. If you can't make yourself write the boring parts, you're not fit to be a writer, sorry. Um, I know how you feel, sometimes when I read I want to skip to the end just so I know what happens, but the difference is I can't. I just can't do it.

Fourth, change your plot a little. Make it lengthier. Add in little details about you can come up with that would fill in some of those boring parts and make it easier to write.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

So write what you want to write. Skip the filler if it makes you bored. Just write in caps "THIS IS WHERE JOE TALKS ABOUT HIS FATHER" and skip to the next scene. Once you have a complete first draft go back and fill in the gaps. You might be more motivated once you have more to work with.

Good luck!

• ?

You can add backstories or a new character. Good luck.