Should conservatives be allowed to call themselves fiscal conservatives while embracing tax cuts?

After all, tax cuts are spending.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree with you. And, NO ONE is more conservative than me. We do NOT need tax cuts. We need to INCREASE taxes---straight across the board. And, we need to CUT the size of our Federal Government. Here is a disgusting fact. One out of every four Americans works for the government. Now, this includes city, county, and state employees, as well. But, this nation can NOT expect THREE American wage earners to support a FOURTH. NOBODY can afford to do that.

• They can call themselves whatever they want. First amendment. You can call yourself a dog if you want, I don't care, nobody cares, you're allowed to do that.

Next, let me say that the idea of tax cuts for improving the economy is nowhere near the panacea that the Redumblicans think it is. At best it is "homeopathic treatment," and at worst, a scam (which I think homeopathy is anyway).

But the idea that tax cuts are spending is ludicrous. It implies that all money belongs to the government, and anything that it isn't keeping for itself counts as spending. In household terms, I would consider it more akin to taking a pay cut so you can spend more time at home with your family and your hobbies.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Tax cuts are a good use of spending,as they create growth.

Look at the kennedy-johnson tax cut for example:

"Unlike the old New Deal, which was a response to a severe financial and economic calamity, the Great Society initiatives came just as the United States' post-World War II prosperity was starting to fade, but before the coming decline was being felt by the middle and upper classes. President Kennedy proposed an across-the-board tax cut lowering the top bracket marginal Income tax in the United States by 20%, from 91% to 71%, which was enacted in February 1964 under President Johnson (three months after Kennedy's assassination). The tax cut also significantly reduced marginal rates in the lower brackets as well as for corporations. The gross national product rose 10% in the first year of the tax cut, and economic growth averaged a rate of 4.5% from 1961 to 1968.[3]

Johnson’s tax cut measure triggered what one historian described as “the greatest prosperity of the postwar years.” GNP increased by 7% in 1964, 8% in 1965, and 9% in 1966. The unemployment rate fell below 5%, and by 1966 the number of families with incomes of $7,000 a year or more had reached 55%, compared with 22% in 1950. In 1968, when John Kenneth Galbraith published a new edition of “The Affluent Society,” the average income of the American family stood at $8,000, double what it had been a decade earlier.[4]

Disposable personal income rose 15% in 1966 alone. Federal revenues increased dramatically from $94 billion in 1961 to $150 billion in 1967. As the Baby Boom generation aged, two and a half times more Americans would enter the labor force between 1965 and 1980 than had between 1950 and 1965."

• 7 years ago

Tax cuts are not spending, silly. Who told you that?

Spending means outgoing money. Not a lack of incoming money.

If "tax cuts are spending", then a lack of customers are a business expense.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • RJC
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes,,,and only a fool would believe tax cuts are spending

• JaMie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

tax cuts are spending? it doesn't take any money to allow people to keep what they earn

• 7 years ago

Generally speaking, conservatives want less taxes whenever possible. That's stuff they teach in high school economics classes.

• 7 years ago

This partisan hack ad brought to you by "Douchebags for Democrats".

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You been listening to the wrong news again.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

no, unfunded tax cuts increase the deficit cons pretend to care about.

tax cuts are also the least efficient means of stimulating the economy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.