Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amy asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

Looking for a small village in British Columbia or Vancouver?

I am looking for a small village in Canada, preferable in Vancouver, Nova Scotia, or British Columbia!

It must be a long way away from a city, but be large enough to have its own (albeit small) police force. It has to allow for farmers to work nearby!

PLEASE let me know of some!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hiyas Amy.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia... let me try to answer.

There are countless little towns up and down the coast - problem is though the farther north you go to seek out those little towns far from urban areas the colder the climate is. Not overly suited for farming - forestry or farm fisheries or tourism are the main things going on.

BC is one of several Provinces that for the most part are policed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; these guys and gals:

http://rerides.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/RCMP_...

One of my friends lives on Mayne Island on the Gulf Islands, they don't even have a police presence - many BC communities don't. The police come by boat or aircraft a few times a month just to visit, and of course come immediately if it's an emergency but in small places crime is so rare many don't even lock their doors.

Actually it's a code up north that if you leave your cabin unattended you leave the door unlocked so if someone is in trouble, lost out in the wilderness, close to freezing or whatever they can use your unlocked cabin as a literal life saver.

Here is a map of the BC coast, pick a place and enter it in search - see what you find:

http://www.buoyweather.com/images/regional/BC.gif

[there are some towns so small they aren't listed on any map fyi]

Hope that helps :)

• 8 years ago

The only places in BC which have their own police forces are a few of the cities in and around Victoria and Vancouver, including Vancouver itself, and Nelson BC which is a town, not a village. Everywhere else is RCMP. I'm not sure about Nova Scotia, but I'd say it's the same there too. It's mostly larger urban places can afford their own police departments. And there is not much farmland in BC. What there is is largely restricted to the Fraser Valley and to Vancouver Island, and there are a lot of orchards and vineyards in the Okanagan.

Vancouver is a city. It does not have any villages within it.

• 8 years ago

Only large cities in Canada have their own police forces, as a general rule. There are some exceptions in Ontario, but, usually, it is the RCMP (Mounties) who are the police in all but the largest cities.

I live near Dawson City, Yukon, which is a LONG way from a big city. Whitehorse is the nearest, a 6 hour drive away, and it only has about 26,000 people. Dawson has under 2,000, and 6 Mounties. However, there aren't really farms up here, as we are so far north.

The interior of BC would work find, as would most of Nova Scotia. Vancouver is in BC, but, it is a very large city.

• bw022
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Vancouver is a city within the province of British Columbia. There are no small cities within Vancouver.

There is no "long way" away from a major city in Nova Scotia. The province is only 350km long and Halifax is in the middle of it.

Almost all small towns and cities subcontract the RCMP for policing. The only cities in BC which have their own police forces are metro Vancouver, greater Victoria, and Nelson. Nelson is has a population of 10,000 and is some 450km away from Vancouver.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The only good farming in Nova Scotia is in the Annapolis valley. Kentville has it's own cops.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.