Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

Dutch citizenship in the very late 1600's ('80s-'90s)?

I was wondering if a person resided in Holland for 10 years would they have Dutch citizenship in the late 1600s. I'm tracing my English roots and they lead back to Holland after my family fled from England after the Monmouth Rebell

I would like to know if my family's nationality changed to Dutch instead of English.

• Ian
    Favorite Answer

Citizenship in the modern sense did not exist then. Many foreigners were resident in Holland for considerable periods, some families also took up permanent residence, but they were generally expected to come under the governance of their own community which in the case of the English and Scots had recognised leaders and rights of trade and other privileges. Even exiles were normally allowed this support. The community was responsible for the good conduct of its members.

Becoming a citizen really meant being allowed to join the native guilds or other organisations. This would be at the gift to the local townsmen and often resulted from inter-marriage.