I have a 1999 nissan sentra se. Can I change the engine to any 4 cylinder engine and still pass smog check?

I already read the article on engine change guidelines but it wasn't detailed enough. I know if I upgrade the engine to a V6 I also have to change other components to make the emission control system work properly. My Nissan has a DOHC 16-valve 2.0 Liter I4 w/MFI* engine from manufacture, does that mean I must be stuck to THAT engine, or any of the 4 cylinder engines? What I would like to do is take an old modeled car and upgrade it in the inside to work like a modern car, but I'm afraid if I do it might not pass the smog check. (Also: I understand what " DOHC 16-valve 2.0 Liter I4 w/MFI" means except for the 'i4" part after Liter, and the "w/MFI" part, if you can please let me know what it means). I'm a newbie and I'm developing a big interest in cars and learning everything about them and tuning. I wanna learn everything I can to the point where I can fix my car by myself. And if I'm able to change the engine, and if you happen to know, what would be the best, most powerful 4 cylinder engine I can get? Thank you for your help.

Favorite Answer

Lets see if I can confuse you more. Manifold fuel injection, MFI In-line 4 CLY, I4 is the configuration of the pistons and engine block. Emissions control are devices that monitor the exhaust gasses and keep the engine running properly so the cat converter can clean up the exhaust. Nissan spent millions making the car clean enough to meet California and federal emissions standards. In Texas moving removing altering the emissions parts is illegal. However if all the engine control systems are working and there are no trouble codes the car may pass the emissions tests. A 1999 with the desired SR-2.0 motor is already a good motor. the standard motor was a 1.6 liter GA-16. There is a SR-20 DET turbocharged version (not Legal) japan specification motor that can make well over 250 hp

Source(s): JP