Why does brake petal squeeks?

When my brakes are used a while the brake petal squeaks what can I do

• Pete M
    Favorite Answer

Could be that your brake pads are worn down to the point where they need to be replaced.

Most cars have brake pad warning indicators that squeal when the brakes are applies and the pads are worn to the point that they need to be replaced.

It could also be that you've had brake work done recently and the brake hardware did not get the high temperature grease applied that stops brake noises.

Another possibility is that the pads have built up some brake dust and that can cause squealing.

The brake dust problem is easily corrected by blowing the brake assemblies with compressed air to get rid of the dust build up.

I also agree to change the pads. In my Chevy Malibu, pads were as cheap as $50 and rotors were $50. So for $100 every 6 mths - 1 yr, I'd change the brake pads. I do a lot of driving though - commute about 85 km to work and back everyday, so I have to change my oil everyday as well.

Change the break pads? Usually if your pads on your breaks is getting low it squeaks to alert the driver it's time. If you don't change those pads, eventually you will hit metal and damage your rotors.

• Pamela

oil it