Am I really an independent contractor?

I did some research and have asked a question on here about it. I am a Dental Assistant and at my first job I was classified as an employee and had taxes taken from my check. Now I am at a new office still as a Dental Assistant and they insist that I am an independent contractor with them and take out no taxes not... show more I did some research and have asked a question on here about it. I am a Dental Assistant and at my first job I was classified as an employee and had taxes taken from my check. Now I am at a new office still as a Dental Assistant and they insist that I am an independent contractor with them and take out no taxes not even Social Security. However I read about what being an independent contractor consists of and I did not relate to anything on that list. I don't schedule my own appontments, send someone in my place if absent, or buy and use my own materials because I am an assistant. I work with the Dr. and I work according to the schedule that THEY give me. So how does that make me independent when I work based on their rules and policies? Or did I miss something because my gut is telling me that I am being misclassified, so is the research I have been doing, and a few tax people I have asked too.
2 answers 2