? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 years ago

Navy or Army for Environmental Engineering?

I plan on joining either the Army or Navy through ROTC or NROTC and become an environmental engineer. I would major in Chemical Engineering through NROTC and Bio-Resource Engineering through ROTC. So which branch would be better for Environmental Engineering?

@jaker I can get the NROTC scholarship better if I major in Chemical Engineering which is a Tier 1 major where Environmental Engineering is Tier 2, and 85% of NROTC scholarships will be given to Tier 1 majors and the school I want to go to for ROTC doesn't have Environmental Engineering, they have a dual major of Chemical and Bioengineering or Civil/Bio-Resource Engineering major.

Best Answer

"85% of NROTC scholarships will be given to Tier 1"

Nope. 85% is the requirement for Tier 1 or Tier 2. There isn't necessarily a benefit to having T1 or T2 right now.

As far as better...you probably won't be using your major too much in either branch. It wouldn't even correlate to any specific jobs in the Navy, and I don't think it would correlate to a branch you'd want in the Army, either.

Source(s): Active-duty Navy and former NROTC instructor

Why not major in Environmental Engineering if that is what you want to do?

• Sas

INTERESTING insight on how they give scholarships. its kinda strange how they determine which one is better than the other. i know alot people who are going chemical engineering.

If you want the scholarship why not go chemical engineering?