Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 7 years ago

Nursing school advice?

I'm thinking about going to nursing school and leaning towards becoming a labor and delivery nurse. I am debating, though, on which path to choose to become a RN. There is a local community college that offers a good ADN program, and then a college in my town that has a really great Bachelor's degree program. I'm not sure if the extra time and money to get the Bachelor's degree would be worth it, considering the important nursing classes are the same in both programs, which is what I'm concerned about. The extra classes in the Bachelor's degree program are ones that I don't know if I want to waste time on. They are mostly required classes that everyone at the college has to take and Chemistry (which I HATE btw). The concern I have with only earning the Associates degree is whether it will give me a disadvantage when looking for a job after school. Are a lot of hospitals looking for RNs with Bachelor's degrees? It looks like labor and delivery doesn't require a Bachelor's, but I know some nursing specialties do. I've done a lot a research and I've gotten mixed answers, and a lot of it depends on where you live as well. (I'm in central Illinois with three hospitals nearby). Has anyone had this dilemma before and have any advice??? Thanks!!!! (Sorry this is so long!!)

Favorite Answer

You're better off getting the BSN. You aren't just taking extra general education courses, you also get more nursing courses too, like Public Health, Research, and Leadership classes that you don't get as part of the ADN. These few extra classes give you a much more well-rounded education in terms of professional issues and makes you a more valuable employee.

Most larger hospitals in the country definitely have a hiring preference for BSNs, esp. hospitals that are trying to get or have already achieved Magnet status. And right now, with the poor economy, employers can be a lot more picky about who they hire. When you graduate you'll be competing for jobs right along with all those BSN grads out there, so how are you going to market yourself to make yourself more hire-able over someone who holds a higher degree? Also, L&D units are also more selective about their hires as well. No, you're not required to hold a BSN to be an L&D nurse, but you will have substantial more difficulty getting a job.

I strongly encourage you to complete the full BSN if you have the ability. You'll have so many more opportunities available to you. If you want you could complete the ADN first and then do a BSN completion program (usually more flexible, can do entirely online, etc.) and enroll in that BSN completion program right away, the very next semester after you graduate with your ADN. I know your perception is that it is a waste of time, but you aren't a nurse and don't know what the job market is like. You don't really understand the nuances and differences of a BSN and why it makes you a more valuable employee and more well-rounded professional nurse. It really does make a difference.

Source(s): RN, BSN