Which branch is the hardest to join, and why?

Can you give me a list, say 1-5. 1 being the hardest.

Favorite Answer

From "hardest" to "easiest" ...USCG, USAF, USN, USMC, USA

Why? Size, need and reenlistment rates

The bigger you are..the more people you need..therefore the lower the standards you have to join; the smaller you are the less people you need coming in..so you can set higher standards.....but

That is offset by reenlistment rates. The less people you have that get out...the less people you need to bring in.

@CH...the USCG is most certainly a branch of the US military under Title 10 USC

And the Army hasn't been granting any felony waivers since about 08. And even then it was for certain juvenile felonies.

Edit:

Because it is unique in DOD..in that it is a military branch under Title 10...and a Maritime Security and Law Enforcement Force under Title 6 and 14 (as well as Titles 19, 33, 46)

Kind of like how the National Guard has similar dual authorities under Titles 10 and 32

How do you think the USCG deploys overseas as the USCG and not as an entity of the US Navy?

Might want to brush up on federal law

Edit:

I wished I had multiple accounts

0.31%...wow; and it doesn't say what the waivers were for. Felonies or misdemeanors. A "serious misconduct" in the military can be too many driving tickets. Of course you are reading it to be murder and rape because it fits what you want to believe.

Riddle us this. You are the smallest branch (if you exclude the USCG) yet have the second lowest standards to enlist (a 32 AFQT compared to the Army's 31). Why is that?

Edit:

"USAREC MESSAGE 13-001 Part 2

"a. ALL Categories suspended:

(1) Waivers for Major Misconduct (Adult-Conviction and Adult-OAD).

(2) Drug/Alcohol Test (DAT).

(3) Misconduct (BN Level) or Juvenile Major Misconduct (criminal) for

drug use, possession or drug paraphernalia, to include marijuana, are suspended

and are not being considered for enlistment into the RA or AR.

(4) G4-(to include FLRI/09L); HA/B; NA/B to include Army Preparatory

School (APS) and GED-Plus cannot have a conduct waiver (any level).

b. Prior Service suspended (PS)-

(1) No conduct waiver authorized at any level (limited exception for

the AR is noted below).

(2) No DAT waivers.

(3) No prior separation/discharge waivers for misconduct or any other type of involuntary waiver that involved misconduct."

Edit:

10 USC § 101 (a) (4)

"The term “armed forces” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard"

The hardest to join would be the Coast Guard. Here is the reason, first they are the smallest branch of the military and second as a result of the being the smallest they can be very selective of who they accept. Also being the smallest they have a very limited number of spots for new people to actually join.

Source(s): Coast Guard Petty Officer
  • Coast Guard is the smallest therefore the hardest. They count as a military branch but at the same time are under the Dept. of Homeland Security.

The rest depends on what MOS you are going into for that particular branch. Going through boot camp isn't that hard in itself.

The discussion was hijacked when people began trying to say the USCG are under the Dept. of Defense. It isn't. Enough said.

The hardest branch to join depends on the MOS you want. The Navy, Marines, and Air Force are hard to join for aviation.

The easiest service to join is, by far, the Army.

Someone hurt the Sammies' feelings by telling them even the USCG does more than the Army. Such a bunch of sniffly, whiny cowards they are.

• Rufus

No, there is no hardest to join.

First, let's get the USCG out of this, they are under Homeland Security and not legally a military defense organization except in time of war. During peace, they are your best bet to see action in drug interdiction and rescue.

If you want aviation, the Navy, Marines, and Air Force will have similar requirements, the Army would be the easiest to get into.

If you want infantry, the Marines would be the hardest to join. The Army has 83% high school graduates and gives waiver to felons. They need to recruit the most people and have the lowest standards to meet their recruiting goals.

** The Air Force is far from the smallest.

Smelly Skunk. Why do you think the USCG is used for law enforcement? Because it is not DoD military. The USCG is under Homeland Security, that's how they get around posse comitatus.

You need to show a link where the Army is no longer giving felony waivers. "In FY 2009, only 0.31 percent of new Army recruits received a criminal history waiver for serious misconduct, compared to 0.40 percent the previous year." That isn't what I would call not granting a waiver.

You can give me all the thumbs down you want to from your multiple accounts. I presented facts.

Skunk, you need to provide a reference to you claim. The Coaat Guard was put under Homeland Security for the purpose of allowing it to do police work not allowed by the military under posse comitatus. They are mentioned in USC Title 10 but not as part of the military. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10

The Coast Guard comes under Title 14: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/14/part-I

@Horatio, congratulations and thanks for supporting my argument. The Coast Guard is treated as a military organization in times of war and otherwise is under Homeland Security. That's exactly the point I was making. Actually, I didn't think it was all that important until other people jumped on it. You were spot on. Thanks for your comment.

I read it, Horatio, and it doesn't say that the USCG is a defense organization. It comes under the DoD in time of war. Otherwise, it is under Homeland Security. It comes under the DoD under the Navy in time of war.

Crazy Horse, according to the first source link I posted below

"The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times."

"Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy."

Therefore, since they are a branch of the armed forces at all times, this includes when they come under the authority of the Navy and come under the authority of Homeland Security.

The second source link I posted below is the U.S. Code, Title 14, section 1, page that confirms the above statement. Scroll a little down until you see

-STATUTE-

The Coast Guard, established January 28, 1915, shall be a

military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United

States at all times.

EDIT

Crazy Horse, my posting above is meant to correct your misunderstanding of the U.S. Code, Title 14, section 1. Please read it carefully.

/

• John

I've heard its the USAF. They thought well enough of me to put me through 12 months of their avionics repair tech school.

1 the marines, they have the longest and hardest training out of any.

2 the army, they are a little like the marines without the the long boot camp.

3 the navy, they also have a hard boot camp.

• Dylan

Air Force is hardest due to its smallest size and high re-enlistment rates.

Source(s): USCG doesn't count D: