Parents: Last year there were 38 fatal dog attacks in the US involving children?

pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Do you believe Pitbulls should be outlawed in the United States. There are already many countries that outlaw Pitbulls, Belgium; Brazil; Denmark; Finland; France; Canada (Winnipeg, Quebec); the Netherlands; New Zealand; Norway; Poland; Puerto Rico ; and Sweden. Do you think we could save the lives of children if we ban them here?

Towanda actually I have not given my opinion about the matter so i'm not sure how i'm making them out to be monsters. I've only stated statistics and facts. I have not given an opinion in anyway.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I believe that most people who buy "bully breeds" do it out of insecurity or fear. The dog makes them feel tough, or safe. Just like how people will buy guns if there's suddenly a bunch of break ins in their neighborhood. So the psychology behind the owners of these dogs has always been interesting to me. I do believe the dogs should be banned. Why? Because when they are poorly socialized they are very dangerous. And since we aren't allowed to force the owners to properly raise the dogs, then banning them is the only option. And think about it, if you have a chihuahua and it bites a kid, big deal. The kid may need stitches and an antibiotic. The dog will be quarantined. But nobody dies. If a pit bites a kid...we are looking at massive tissue damage, disfigurement, loss of use of body parts or death. You can't compare a pit bull to other breeds. And unless someone can find a cure for idiots, then we have to ban the dogs.

I really hate it when people say Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs, they are not! pit bulls are dangerous!Pit bulls were genetically selected for their fighting ability. Therefore you can't trust them with other dogs or children for that matter. People will say they are safe, if they are so safe why are 61% of them killing people?

If you miss treat any animal sure they will be viscous but my neighbor had a pitbull she always claimed she was such a great dog and she did treat and raise her well. One day Coco got out killed my neighbors black lab puppy who was being walked down the street with a harness and everything. The very next week this same dog attacked my 3 year old son. I some how got between them both I and my son had to get stitches. And this was a fixed, well treated pit-bull and her owner kept saying "I don't know how this happened"

pit bull has acquired a reputation as an unpredictable and dangerous because THEY ARE!

My Aunt has a pit bull. She is the sweetest dog there is! When you rub her belly, she lays and submits to you right away.

And if you are looking to save the lives of children- look at a more effective way to do so. The leading cause of both disability and death for children in the United States are motor vehicle crashes.

The recommendations are to have kids rear facing to age 4 (age 2 as a bare minimum), in a forward facing car seat with a harness until age 5 to 6 (as long as possible), and in a booster seat until the adult seat belt fits correctly- across their hip bones, not the soft stomach (about age 10 to 12).

I'm not looking at changing laws because I'm against a nanny state. Manufacturers should be held responsible for labeling a booster seat for 3 year olds (when they are meant for big kids who are in grade school- age 5 to 6): http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/187038601.html

• ?

No, because study after study has shown that these behavior problems come from the way pit bulls are raised, not the way they're born. If someone is looking to fight dogs, they're going to get a pit bull because of their reputation, and that's why most abused and aggressive dogs are pit bulls. Shepherds and Chows are way more naturally aggressive than pit bulls, so if we banned them, we'd have to ban dozens of other popular breeds too.

I deal with dogs and have found pit bulls to not be the monsters you are making them out to be. The problem is the owners. All dogs of any strength need to trained to mind and none of them need to be loose. It's like trying to ban guns here...it isn't the pit bulls that are the problem, it's careless, thoughtless owners. You talk about owning these dogs but say nothing about the breeders that bred these dogs to be what they are. Breeders are the ones that need to be regulated.

Do you think DNA tests were performed on any of these "pit bulls" your citing in your statistics? No. I have stats, too. 99% of pit bull attacks are miscategorized as pit bull attacks.

No, dogs shouldn't be outlawed, negligent and aggressive owners should be outlawed in all countries.

• rrm38

No. I do, however, believe that owners of known dangerous breeds should be required to register the animals and that they should be required to attend courses on responsible handling/ownership. An oblivious owner with a poorly trained dangerous dog is no less a safety threat than an oblivious firearm owner with no training in the handling of firearms. Both are an accident waiting to happen, IMO.

Well obviously, I don't understand why people even have pit-bulls when they have young children in the house. Certainly I believe that outlawing pit-bulls would be great, but such a law would never pass in the US.

Source(s): 22 year old guy.
  • No....

Pitbulls are actually statistically one of the most friendly breed of dogs.

The problem? Owners. A lot of pittbull owners are idiotic "LOL my dog can kill you brah, WORLD CLASS FIGHTIN' DOG SON!" types and mistreat them.

NO DOG IS INHERENTLY VIOLENT.

• kim h

The dogs are not the problem. The people that raise these dogs are the problem. All dogs can be taught to be mean. Ban stupidity and that will save more children.