Why stuff looks farther in the camera view finder than on person?

I recently drove from Illinois to California. The mountains were so beautiful! The scenery was striking but the pix failed to capture the closeness of the mountains. Is it the zoom feature that captures the closeness? What features does my camera need to take great pics closeup? Thanks

Favorite Answer

I can't tell whether you have zoom lens on your camera or not by your description. What camera & model are you using? Does the camera have a zoom lens/ Some cameras only have a lens that is 3x which is totally useless in my opinion. The cameras with a 5x are what I consider a minimum zoom lens. But if you have or can get a "bridge" type camera they have longer zoom lenses which pull in subjects that are a great distance from your shooting position, like the Fuji Finepix S4500 selling @ $150.00 on amazon.

Good Luck!

Source(s): 45yrs professional photographer
  • BriaR

Take a look here - it shows landscapes at different zoom.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/focal-length-simul...

Problem is when you look at a beautiful scene you are not taking in the whole view at one time. You are taking it in, in small snapsots. The mistake is then to try to capture it in a single photo and suddenly you have loads of sky and a thin strip of scenery.

Take the view in multiple shots - if necessary stitch them together in a panorama.

• Jim A

You need to do some reading about lenses. If I were you I'd go to the library or check wikipedia about camera lenses and how they work.