Why is it impossible for me to be normal around others?

It's absolutely crippling how awkward I am. I use to blame it on my foreignness (I'm Russian living in America) but now I have to wonder if I am just abnormal. I literally cannot go without one moment in a day where I get myself in an awkward social situation.

Favorite Answer

Seriously, Zora, stop worrying about it. Much of the problem is that you've come to EXPECT that you'll be awkward. And what is "normal", anyway?

Be yourself, stop worrying what others think!

Wow. This is weird.

One of my bosses is Russian living in Canada. He's painfully awkward with people. He's got a heavy accent and acts very 'military'.

I asked him a few questions about missing home, when he came over, his family and such....

Poor guy.... I think no one has reached out to him in a friendly way because of his demeanor.

So, I feel for you; and I have some advice.

Ask questions.

People are easy to read.

They talk about what they love.

Listen.

Ask them questions about what they love and you won't be able to shut them up.

Don't worry about it. Its because you have a modest heart and maybe there still may be a little communication problem. No matter. You will do better in time. Forgive yourself. Find yourself a friend to go with you and help with what you are having little problems with. Maybe there aren't as many as you think.

I'm the same way(which is why I'm often online a lot, since it's easier than real life). I guess we just can't figure out how to act in social situations properly or something. It's not in our programming like it is for others I guess.

Take a paper and draw a line right down the middle. Label one side Strengths, the other Weakness.

Let me start.

Strengths...

Russian (Be proud of it)

• ?

Most people are too self absorbed to notice much about others.

Some of us have no excuse for being a little odd. We just are.

We just need to find each other.

What is normal? What you define as "normal" may, or may not be normal for others. Normal is just a generalization for how a person believes that others should behave. It's not a logical word at all.

That's how a lot of people are. Manly guys.

It's ok, you just need to find yourself some people who are just as awkward as you.

• ?

Who wants to be normal? You're fine, don't stress so much about things like that.

It doesn't matter what you do...if you do it confidently, it will seem "normal".

Everyone is awkward...some people just hide it better.