Why are people afraid of what we might find in Space ?

So we had different ideas of how we could defend against ET life, or unearthly objects. Hitting Astroids with Missiles Blowing them up, I said we could hit comets with Missiles Someone said it'd only break them into smaller bits, True. Thats What Satellies and lasers are for zap the bits. Then people speak of what would happen if advanced civilizations of beings come to earth. People act like a Planet full of Hulks is going to Come and start pounding on us. People are Holusive and i believe THEY Are the ones Out of there Imagination and are specially educated, yeah someone might have a Space ship that travels thousand of light years BUT NO 100 HULK ISNT GONNA EXIT THAT SPACE SHIP!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not sure. Asteroids are a recent fear, probably due to some popular films that have come out about them. The truth is, being afraid is pointless. If such an asteroid were headed toward earth, we would either be able to divert it, blow it up into smaller (harmless) chunks, or we would just die. But being afraid wouldn't make us die any more or less.

What I find interesting about people fears and hopes about alien civilizations, is that these speak more about how we view ourselves as a society. The aliens are highly unlikely to ever come. However, the plans tell us how we think we would react If we encountered an alien race which was eons below us in sophistication. We are afraid, because we know if the roles were reversed we would just plow through earth, take what we want, and leave a smoldering pit.

• Troasa
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

That's the first time I've been called Holusive.

Probably from science fiction. That is the main stem of the great majority of beliefs of laymen concerning aliens. We normally see a movie where a bunch of spaceships attack a city and all hell breaks loose and either the world is conquered or homo sapiens (normally in American clothing) are victorious and celebrate with popping champagne corks. In the world of reality (which few people live in) there has never been any proof of aliens. So we must conclude one of a few things: 1- We are the only planet with a species more advanced than microbial life. 2- Aliens exist but are faced with the exact problems of physics that we are which makes interstellar travel either impossible or extremely impractical. 3- They have detected our presence and are planning an attack with a fleet of spaceships.

Certainly we must reject #3 outright unless we are living in some fantasy world of our imagination since we have not detected any planet remotely close enough to harbor life forms nor have we ever detected any radio or laser signals which would indicate that aliens are anywhere within our neighborhood of this galaxy.

• 7 years ago

It happens because some people (people in general?) see everything including the universe in human terms. They think that the whole universe revolves around humanity, and hence everything in it is either out to get us, or is desperately trying to contact us.

I blame religion for this paranoid, delusional state of mind, because millenia of religious dogma has primed people to think humanity is the pinnacle of all creation (it is even said that God made us in His image! How totally up yourself would humanity need to be to come up with that one! This is delusion on an epic scale).

Of course the truth is very different to this deception. The truth is that the entire Earth is the tiniest insignificant speck in the universe. Nothing cares about us. Nothing is out to get us. We don't matter to anything or anyone. If God exists, then He is not even aware of our existence.

Forget aliens. They don't exist in reality. They are just an exudation of the collective consciousness of western culture. It's people's desperation to somehow be important which makes them think that something would cross trillions of miles of vacuum just to molest them.

If the education system was overhauled to instil the truth instead of myths into young minds, then the next generation might just have a better idea of what is real, and might just take some responsibility for caring for this unique planet of ours.

Cheers!

• 7 years ago

Space is much like the world was in the .mid-1600s to 1700s; a very vast uncharted place with incredible wide open spaces where the horizon was exactly the same in any direction and rescue or communication took a very long time.

it may not seem like much, but a manned capsule orbiting the moon, looses communication with earth for 8 minuets just by crossing along the equator on the dark side.

8 minuets does not seem like much, but, should that capsule crash, its three days before a rescue team can arrive, probably four or five to make the prparations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Because, if we find there are aliens out there, especially if they are sapient, then it kind of negates virtually every religious belief we, as humans, have -- like: did Christ die for just humans, or did he die in sacrifice for all sapient beings? Do those aliens have their own version of God/gods/etc.? If so, which are the more powerful? Their's or ours?

All the rest is based on the fear that "our" religions are not the Truth (even for atheists).

• 7 years ago

nobody said they were afraid but as stephen hawking said If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans....We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

Source(s): into the universe with stephen hawking
  • 7 years ago

There are no aliens, so that just leaves us with the delusion that you can blow up an asteroid with a bomb. Sorry, you can't.

• DrDave
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I never said I was afraid. Where did you get the idea I was?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

That baffles me too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.