Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 7 years ago

What is a good, cheap .223 rifle?

I am looking to expand my gun collection. I love shooting and I like .22's because they cause low pelt damage. I use them for foxes. I really want a good .223 so I can take care of the coyotes around my house. They killed my best hunting dog last year. I wont be happy until I have one stuffed and in my gun room. Any suggestions? Preferably 250.00 or less. Lowest price tag possible

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

H&R Handi-Rifle are very good shooters for the price. The link below show suggested retail price but you should be able to get one for around the $275 - 250 range. I just bought a used 45-70 from Cabela's for $235

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?it...

• august

You won't find much under $250.

I'd suggest a Savage Axis, though. It's a bolt action, so don't expect anything too "tacticool." It will do quite well as a coyote slayer, though, and Savage rifles have a good reputation for being quite reliable and accurate.

Right now, Bass Pro has the Savage Axis on sale for about $330, including a scope. It wouldn't be the best scope money can buy, but it would get you through a couple of months or possibly even a hunting season, so you can look into buying a better scope down the road when you can afford it. That's about as cheap as any .223 Remington will be, unless you find a used rifle or get a single shot, break-action rifle... which might be another option, too. Look at guns like the H&R break-actions. Inexpensive, reasonably reliable, no-frills rifles that will get the job done... albeit only one round at the time.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. A single shot will be in the $150-$200 range, probably, while the Axis will be in the $300 range. I'd take the Axis, honestly. The extra money is worth it for a high-quality rifle from an excellent manufacturer, even if it is a lower-end rifle.

• Paco

I have to agree with the guys who suggested the H&R Handi-Rifle.... A friend and I worked up a load for his Handi-Rifle in .223, and with this loading it's an honest 1/2 MOA rifle... I was impressed enough that I went right out and bought myself a Handi-Rifle in .280 Remington.

To quote gun writer Mike Venturino, "There are cheap rifles and there are inexpensive rifles. The Handi-Rifle is an inexpensive rifle."

H&R Handi Rifle. $249.99

what's really great about the H&R is that it's got interchangeable barrels, you can get a new barrel in 22lr to 500 S&W Magnum for just 80 bucks...

cheaper to buy a mosin ($100) and 2 tins of ammo ($160) gun & ammo in your budget! 223 is hard ot find and expensive right now. it at least two more months before ammo is available and not a dollar a round.

I agree with both the handi rifle and mosin, but you will not find one for above listed price. Unfortunately those prices are doubled right now. If you decide to go the handi rifle route don't be tempted by the Rossi match barrel set/trifecta. It's garbage.