Should I try out for my High School's musical?

I haven't sung since 5th grade and I've never performed on stage. But I have acted with my friend (making movies, music videos and dances) since 7th grade and I am confident I have the acting down. (Ive also done a few small skits in front of my church). I should have joined theatre a long time ago but I never decided to until this year (my senior year). So I have 2 chances to be in a play this year. I really want to be a part of both. I have been trying to improve my singing all summer but I don't think I'll be 'solo worthy'. So my question is, should I try out for a semi big part with only a few solos that may not be hard to handle or try out for a extra for the first time? I want to have a good time and act. What are my best chances for this musical?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I couldn't tell you your chances for getting a part, because I don't know how big of a part theatre is in your school.

But I can tell you this: if you really want to do it, do it! There's no harm in trying, and even if you don't make it, chances are you will have fun and make a few friends at the audition.

You don't have to have perfect pitch, the key is just to be confident in your singing. Don't slump or look nervous or unsure of what you are doing. Worry less on how you sound (although it is slightly important) and more on really selling the song.

My advice for auditioning is start out with a medium role for the first musical, and if you get a part, be bold and audition for a larger role next time.

Hope this helped!

Source(s): Acting since I was 6
  • Jean

Of course you should audition for the musical. You have shown long standing motivation towards acting and have some skills. It is unlikely that you will be auditioning alongside future BAFTA or Academy Award winners. Even if that was the case, you deserve a chance to do what you love. Be ambitious and audition for whatever you want most. The person casting the musical will work out which role they think you are best suited to. Your job is to just do your best and then sit back.

Be well organised, enter and exit the stage confidently, sing clearly and audibly, acknowledge the accompanist for your piece at the end of your vocal part (if there is one), dress appropriately for movement and then sit back and see what comes. Remember that auditions and rejection are the bulk of a working actors life...

Source(s): Teenage daughter studies full time at well known acting school.

Well if you feel like you can have the part then you will and if you don't, hopefully there will be more later on

What musical is it?