Why do people call me a hick?

Well i am a Texan, and i love country music, mostly listen to the 60's country music. I love guns, trucks, i love to four wheel, and a where boots. My dad is a country boy and i am wondering if i am one too?

No Eddie i do not mean thick.

Also i am very smart, and academics are very important to me.

That is what a hick is - a country boy! I think it might not necessarily be a pejorative if its meant to mean someone with non-city sensibility, someone who likes the simple things in life, the outdoors etc. You could also be called 'country' or 'bumpkin.'

I think 'redneck' is similar but it slightly indicates a less intelligent person.

We all have stereotypes about people from different areas; city people are mis-characterized as mean and unfriendly and non-city people are mis-characterized as unsophisticated.

I know a few 'hicks' who are very smart; can fix anything, build anything, understand mechanical/electrical engineering, build computers from scratch. Pretty much all the hicks i know have advanced degrees in different kind of engineering - they just like the dirt, hearty food (rather than fancy food), like boots and jeans (rather than chinos and shoes), trucks (rather than hybrids), meat (rather than veggies)

Well that's why.

people like Californians don't like country music, trucks, guns, or boots.

nothing wrong with though. I love Southerners.

I never use the word "Hick", but I do consider white ppl who are racist, don't care about the environment, throw their cigarettes on the ground, drive enormous gas guzzling suv's, have nasty tattoos, missing teeth, and kill innocent animals for sport rednecks.

it sounds like people are just stereotyping you because of what you like to do. Just be what you want and do what you want as long as your not hurting anyone and not give a damn what people call you ;)

Try calling them ghetto scum and watch their heads exsplode

You mean thick.