Baa Baa asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

Why does one fish keep getting ick?

I have fancy goldfish and this one coal black fish (forget the exact name they are called) keeps getting ick even though I have treated him many times. It keeps coming back. I treat it with ick medicine and it quickly goes away within a day or two and then comes back in few days. I have removed the fish from its 75 gallon tank and treated it for a full week and put it back in only to have the ick come back. Common sense told me it's in my tank so I removed all the carbon filters from my Fluval filter and treated the whole tank of fish even though my other fish did not have any ick that I could see. I even use the coppersafe each month for this problem and my tank only has 6 not very large fancy goldfish in it. It is not overstocked by any means. You might think my other fish have it too except I cannot see it as well as I could on a coal black fish, but I have another coal black fish and that one is just fine. I know it's ick because I have seen it many times and treated it. I have had fish off and on all my life. I usually never have this problem since I started using the coppersafe, but nothing seems to work with this one fish.

Any idea of what to try to permanent fix the problem. I don't want to keep treating the whole tank and don't want this fish to live in a sick tank all his life. Should I change all the water in the tank and really clean the stones? Is the whole tank the problem? It doesn't make sense since it's only this one fish that this is happening to. Thanks for any help you can give.

I might add that the black fish shows no signs of being sick even when it has ick. It swims and eats just fine all day. When I treat it, all the white spots completely disappear and it returns to being that beautiful coal black again. Then the white spots come back in a day or two.

Favorite Answer

Your fishes immune system is low. ich is basically in your tank constantly but its only when your fishes immune system is low that it actually starts its life cycle. You can add the medicine in your tank without any carbon but leave your filter running still. Do 10-20% water changes every day which will keep your water clean. Feed him some small pieces of lettuce and bloodworms so he gets a balanced diet and he should be fine in a week or so.

If you can add a heater and increase the temperature to about 71, anything higher and your goldfish might be stressed....the higher temperature will speed up the parasites life cycle.

Like humans some fish are prone the illness easier than others. To avoid contaminating the other fish remove the sick one to a tank of its own if possible.