Should I allow my sons mom to take him out of the country for 2 weeks?

My son 1 1/2 and his mother has family in Jamaica that has never met him. We are not together and she's needs proof that I approve of her taking him out of the country but for two weeks?! I might sound selfish but i don't want to be away from my son for two whole weeks and I'm not sure if I will be able to make calls all the way to Jamaica, the thought is literally killing me. I thought of maybe compromising a trip for one week but am I coming off as selfish or is this reasonable?

Favorite Answer

Not sure if you can make calls all the way to Jamaica?

My friend, we can make calls all the way to Antarctica. I'm pretty sure we can make them to that little dirt country as well.

However, I get the feeling how to make a phone call to some third world country isn't what's really bothering you. Being in a situation where you have no control is.

If this little guy is in another country for two weeks, it would be COMPLETELY out of your hands as to what would happen to him.

THAT'S what's bothering you. So, is it selfish of you? Yes and no. It's always a good sign when a parent shows concern about where their child is but the kid is not going to Jamaica to be left in the trunk of some abandoned car for the entire trip... he's going to see family who's NEVER seen him yet.

How would you feel if your son had a baby and you hadn't seen it after a year and a half?

One other thing. kids learn how to be an adult by watching their parents. Be careful what you teach.

There are a couple of things you need to consider. Is there a possibility that she would just stay in Jamaica and try to keep him? If so, you would have a difficult time getting your son back...that's a scary chance to take. Two weeks is a really long time...its not being selfish, that is your child...of course you don't want him that far away from you! If her family wants to see him, they can come here...if she can afford a two week trip, she can pay for them to come here. I think you're being very reasonable.

I advise you to speak to an attorney about her request. It is possible that the mother will leave the country , go to Jamaica, and never bring him back. This kind of thing happens all the time. Don't do it, not for two weeks, not for two days.

• DM

I think you need to let her know its going to be tough for you and that a shorter length of time is not you trying to be controlling.

I think 10 days is a suitable compromise AND you should have him for 10 days shortly after they get back.