Does my mom have to be with me to go to court for truancy?

I live in Florida. This will be my 3rd time going to court for truancy. I used to go to a public school & the day before my mom got the letter saying I had to go to court(the first time I went to court) I went & got enrolled into Florida virtual school. (Online school) But I'm not sure why I have to go back to court for the 3rd time, im assuming it has to do about my School. But does my mom have to be there with me on my court date? Because I recently moved in with a friend because me and my mom aren't getting along so I was wondering if my moms friend can take me or if my mom has to be there. And I am 16 by the way.

• Athena
    Favorite Answer

You are 16 and this is what your life is like right now.

At what point will you wise up and see that this course is not a good one?

That the older you get the bigger the problems and the longer it takes to fix them?

Yes, if You are still a legal ward of your mother, IF the court has not transferred your guardianship to someone else, then SHE will have to appear with you. SHE is still legally responsible for you.

The question is, when are you going to be responsible for yourself?

When you turn 18 and have a high school diploma you can tell everyone to F off.

Until then, you are a minor. Shape up and stick it out kid.

You won't be that cute party girl all the guys want to spend money on much longer.

THAT job will go to the next cute young thing who cuts classes to be with boys.

YOU will be the old gal whose only job is to buy the booze for all the party kids.

Wise up now. If you are going to court for THIS the next time will be worse.

Your mother is LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE for you and any of your conduct as a minor. Moving in with your friend does not excuse her from the law.

Therefore..the answer is yes, SHE has to go. Actually, some parents in some states have had charges filed against them..for failing to make sure the child is in school. Your friends mom has no legal authority about you.

Your mother needs to be there. Your mother's friend would only be allowed to accompany you if she is a court appointed guardian.

And you are in real danger of ending up in a juvenile detention center - three times to court over truancy and your not living in your mother's home? The judge is not going to be happy with you.

If you are a minor your mom is still responsible for you. If you are enrolled in home school then you can prove it and have the case dismissed.

• Kris

you DO realize that your parents CAN go to jail also if you refuse to go to school.

Yes your parents have to go to court with you.Of course you can have your friend to go with you but they will not be happy when they get arrested for your bad choices.

Source(s): Juvenile Services Officer