Is it illegal to copy a DVD from a library onto my computer?

So I'm a bit confused here.

I recently took out a few DVD's from my local library in hopes that I could copy them onto my computer for an upcoming road-trip, but it I don't know if it is legal or not.

Can I copy DVD's from my library to my computer (then onto a mobile device)?

WAIT NO SHOOT I'M IN CANADA GUYS

Favorite Answer

It's not legal.

- Dominic

I do not believe so, although the movie industry would certainly like to object.

Many years, back in the days of video tape, I knew a family where the father was an attorney familiar with all of the copyright laws. According to him, they could legally rent a movie from the rental store, copy it, return the original and watch their copy whenever they wanted as long as they did not show it to others for profit. This was before the DMCA act which is in direct violation of the Constitution ...

Basically it is not illegal as long as it's for personal use. It's pretty much the same as photo copying a book pages. Just don't sell the copies, use them to get customers etc. and nobody would sue you or have you arrested

It is illegal because you do not own them. It is then considered piracy. If they were your own that you bought, you could, by law, copy them for YOUR own backups.

Even though you may create backups, DVDs are still structured to prevent being ripped for not-so-honest people, though getting their data is still feasable. Handing/distributing those copies out are again, illegal. You can only keep your backups for yourself.

That would be illegal. It's creating a digital copy of a film you do not own.