EMT certification then a PA?

I'm starting college in a month and I go to Orientation and pick my classes tomorrow morning. I want to become a P.A. I've heard that becoming an RN then going PA is a waste of time and money. Then I've heard that I should just get a Bachelor's in Pre-Med then apply for the PA program.

I was wondering if I could go the EMT route though? Get an EMT certification for some experience and a job while I'm going to school for my PA? Or would that be a waste of time? Any advice is welcome!

Favorite Answer

Most who go the RN route end up as nurse practitioners rather than PA's so if that's something you're interested in doing instead then the RN route isn't a bad idea. You will need a certain number of direct patient care hours (it can vary some depending on the PA program) so doing an EMT or CNA or something is a good idea. "Pre-med" isn't a major so you can't get your bachelors degree in that, but doing something like biology or chemistry is completely normal to get a bachelors in. It really doesn't matter what you chose to major in as long as you complete the required pre requisite classes for PA school so just chose something that you enjoy to major in.

That is a really good idea because PA schools require "direct patient experience" (or its 'strongly suggested') in order to be accepted, so having good grades and experience as an EMT would look really when applying to PA school

You must work as a nurse, paramedic or EMT for 3 years before you will be accepted to the 26 month P.A. program.