Going to College without having a major?

I'm going to be going to college next semester but I have no idea what I want to major in. I've really been leaning towards going to school to be a Veterinarian, but I've been thinking about it and I don't think I would be able to handle doing surgery on animals and the biggest problem would be all the math I would have to go through in the 8 years of school. I was great in Chemistry, Had a 95 average the whole year, I was good in physical science, probably a 90 or so average, and I was okay in Biology. My freshman year of High School I didn't really know what a GPA was so I didn't really try in my classes so I might of been better in Biology if i tried but I'm not sure. Back to math, Algebra was never really my best subject, it was really hard for me. I was really good in Geometry though. English and reading are probably my weakest subject in all, i had a 15 in both Reading and English on my ACT (which i have to retake). I've been thinking hard on this, but I have absolutely no idea what to major in. I would like to deal with animals, i.e which is why i wanted to be a vet, but I can't think of anything to do. Yes i would like a job that pays a lot, but I want a career that i would love. I need help with this so anything useful would be great!

Favorite Answer

Become a vet tech. It only requires an associates degree in vet technology. That way, you wouldn't have invested 8 years of your life on something you may not want to do. I would suggest volunteering at your local animal shelter's clinic to get a feel of what the job entails. I can say for sure that being a tech is more hands on with the animals than being a vet, surprisingly. You can complete a four year degree and become a veterinary technologist which is better paying than a vet tech. Good luck!

Source(s): vet tech major (until I volunteered at the shelter!) ;)
  • 하하

Go to your local community college and focus on taking the core classes you would need for any major. You do not need to decide on a major until your 3rd or 4th semester.