Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

Mom and I have different opinions?

My mom is a therapist. I respect that she analyzes people unconsciously and I respect that she did take the time and put effort into her diplomas. I have severe anxiety, I can't speak with new people, I can't make decisions, and it basically comes in waves.

My mom just tells me to "shake it off" or to "face my fears." Anyone who has these problems will agree, it's not that easy. I wish it was.

Unlike my mother, I don't believe you can change your life by tapping your pulse points and lying to yourself. I don't believe things will change if you say it out loud.

I have told her my opinions many times and she won't stop. It may seem like I am overreacting, but these things happen a few times a day. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

I totally understand your frustration, I've had therapists tell me the same and it's such BS. what i found that helped me was not letting your anxiety stop you from doing what you want to do. Who really cares about breathing and telling yourself false things to make yourself "not be as anxious". Just as long as you do what you want to do.

Go see your school counselor, or a therapist who isn't your mom. If she wants to know why, tell her it's because you want to be proactive in your health, taking responsibility for yourself when you know you can't just shake it off and need someone to listen to you and not judge you.

talk to someone other than your mom talk to ppl online or in some other comfort zone to begin with then you start getting over it alittle at a time but it will take along time before you talk to total strangers when you see them