Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 years ago

How do you deal with someone who is adamant that they are right, when you know they are wrong?

For example I was at my grandmothers for dinner today, and she said that Queen Elizabeth II was the richest woman in the world. I told her in a very polite way that she was not, and that she wasn't even in the top 20. She then told me that I had no idea what I was talking about.

I really wanted to prove her wrong, but I didn't want to get angry at my grandmother.

Favorite Answer

You're angry at what she said about you, and that's natural. But she was reacting to being contradicted, which is also natural. So how do you deal with this? By learning to live with the fact that everyone is going to be wrong about something, and developing a sense of self that doesn't depend on everyone agreeing with you. (I know it's not easy. I'm almost 50 and I'm just learning how.)

• Jack

You may want to pick your battles. Is it crucial to any aspect of your life to prove Queen Eliz II is not the richest woman in the world? If not, then let the matter rest.

For the future, keep in mind people who argue just for the sake of being right tend to be very unhappy. Nobody will thank you for challenging them on relatively unimportant points.

• Me

Just get a list of top 10 rich women in the world and show her. the Queen is definitely the most royal and famous

It's your grandmother, just agree with her. She probably doesn't know how to use TeH iNtErWeBz to prove herself wrong. From her day and age she was brought up that children are not to disagree with elders. So just deal with it, and let her think shes right. I had the same issue with my dad the other day, who claimed stabbing a shark who was biting you was a dumb idea because it could attract more sharks, when the blood gushing from your body wouldn't -_-

Bust out the internet if you can prove it over that. Give a valid source and show her

• BBG

Oh please. Are you seven?

Just smile and say, "Ok grandma."

Why is it so important to you to sully a nice dinner with your grandmother (which I'm presuming she prepared and paid for) to prove her wrong?

• Myra

In this situation, let it go. Is it really that important to be "right"? It's your Granny, so I wouldn't worry about "proving" her wrong.

Source(s): Opinion
  • Prove her wrong or just let it be

I just give up and change the subject but I do that to keep the peace. lol

Just let it go.

Source(s): Has a grandma