Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 7 years ago

If dry cat food is so unhealthy & bad for cats why then do many Veterinarians still recommend it?

• Ed G
    Favorite Answer

There a good reason why?The proof of dry food being bad for cats is not clear at all,you can go to many sites that say that.But many cats do fine on a dry food only diet, and when I say many I mean most.Some Cats may have problems then they should be fed wet food, and if a Cat does not drink enough water they should also be on a wet food diet.The ASPCA found in their study of cat food that a diet of wet food may have a slight advantage over dry food.After reading everything I could find on the subject,I came to the conclusion that a the lack of water is the problem.Not the dry food it's self.Since I have 3 Cats and they do drink water,but I'm not sure if one them may not get what they need so I feed them wet food in the morning.The other problem with dry food is people will just free feed and this can cause a Cat to put on to much weight,which can cause health problems from being over weight.

• J C

Not all vets! I work with many vets due to my involvement with rescue, and vets that are just out of school (or actually continued their training) now recommend canned for their feline clients. My own vet does - refers to the dry food eaters as "dry food junkies". Of course they still have the bags of the Science Diet there, but that's what people want - convenience - even after the reasons *not* to feed all dry are explained. The old myths about dry cleaning teeth die hard ...

Source(s): many years of cat rescue (and feeding a mostly-canned premium diet)

I asked my vet that question, when I went to pick up another expensive vile of insulin - the result of a kibble diet!! Her reply was that it isn't a good diet, but its so convenient for humans (and less expensive than wet food) that they pretty much cater to humans not cats!!! Well, if we feed our cats properly there will be fewer vet visits.....you can see where this is going....

Source(s): Experience!
  • Casey

depends on the brand. food with more grains than meat arnt that good.wet food alone isnt always best either. basically you want a food with as little grains and corn products as possible. you can tell by the way they are listed under ingredients. the first listed item makes up the highest percent and so on. so if the ingrdiants read Corn, grain meat, there is more corn than meat. if they read meat, corn grains ect then there is more meat than corn so dry food isnt necessarily unhealthy it all depends on the brand and ingredients

Dry food is better for there teeth.