ShaynaMarie asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 7 years ago

how to keep red hair dye vibrant?

Hi guys! My hair is Ariana Grande red (maybe a little brighter, but almost the same as hers) and i try to keep it that way, but it never stays! I know red hair dye is one of the hardest to keep, but mine is faded to a dull orange within 2 weeks and I'm sick of it! I've tried professional dye, Special Effects, and Splat dyes. Is there any special kinds of dyes that have great staying power, or any special product that keeps hair dye sealed? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

I already use shampoo for color treated hair and John Freida Radiant Reds conditioner.

Unfortunately, red is the hardest color to attain, the hardest color to maintain, and the hardest color to get out of hair.

If you're already using color treating shampoos, then there isn't much else you can do, other than staying away from Clarifying shampoos. The higher on the PH scale the shampoo is, the more color will strip out of your hair each time you wash it.

Its very tricky, but try to look for key terms like "alkaline based shampoos" rather than acidic shampoos if you can. That may help, because even so called "professional color shampoos" will scam you.

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a cosmetologist.

Try washing your hair every other day, or every two days. If you're hair gets oily fast, try using Bed Head Rockaholic Dry Shampoo. It works great and your hair will feel fresh and smell even better. As someone who colors their hair often, the best way to keep the vibrant color is washing less. You can also try a color sealif serum (Ion brand works great) Hope that helps.