+++To any Christian(s) or anyone i guess, who would like to answer+++?

What language was the bible originally written in? My Preacher sometimes says that some words were translated wrong and that gives me a little (tiny bit) of discomfort. Do you feel discomforted by that? And do you think that no one has taken advantage of the bible? Like, do you think the bible was written and over the thousands of years undivinely inspired people put there two cents in or took stuff out? There's a warning in the bible that says not to change anything but we imperfect beings have broken all of gods other rules why not that one? Thankyou to anyone who can help me out :D

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The Bible teaches (1) that it is inspired (breathed) by God and (2) that it will forever be preserved by God. Some people place faith in faulty ancient texts (such as the dead sea scrolls). If a translation disagrees with a faulty text, that doesn't mean the translation is false. The textus receptus is the true text. Read "The Need For An Every Word Bible" by Dr. Jack Hyles, and "New Age Versions" by Dr. Gail Riplinger. Nothing was translated wrong. I would look for a new church.

• 7 years ago

Hebrew is one. But since jehovah god used men from different lands they spoke different languages i believe its like 3 languages it was written in.

As far as people changing the Bible, yes that has been done throughout the years. People have taken God's name out of the Bible. Their have been mistranslations also.

I use the new world translation I've found it to be the most accurate and easy to understand.

I know you can't help but doubt its authenticity after knowing that but think about this many people have tried to destroy the bible completely throughout the years. They have all been unsuccessful why do you think it has been preserved from 100s of yrs even down to now? How is that possible? If it were any other book do you think it would be here today despite so many attempts to get rid of it? If Jehovah wanted to couldn't he preserve it all those years? But why preserve something that has been altered? Maybe the message is still the same and it is still a book from him. You can get to know him from any translation. They didn't mistranslate that.

• 7 years ago

The first human author to write down the biblical record was Moses. He was commanded by God in Exodus 34:27 to "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." Moses wrote in his native language, called Hebrew.

Almost the entire Old Testament was written in Hebrew during the thousand years of its composition. But a few chapters in the prophecies of Ezra and Daniel were written in a language called Aramaic.

Translations are not easy, many words have several meanings. Context becomes key but not always correct. The word for "virgin" for example could have just meant "young woman."

• H
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

How can knowing Greek and Hebrew be helpful when studying the Bible?

The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew (with a few portions in a related language called Aramaic). The New Testament was originally written in Greek. Despite many modern translations that faithfully represent the original languages of Scripture, no translation can capture every nuance of the original words of Scripture. So knowing Hebrew and Greek (or at least some of their words and verbal patterns) can prove helpful when studying the Bible.

For example, in English verbs have tense (such as past, present, and future tenses—sat, sit, will sit). In Greek, verbs also include aspect, which means that, in addition to an action being past, present, or future, an action can be either complete or incomplete. This verbal aspect is sometimes not clearly communicated in translation. Those who study the Greek text can therefore gain additional insights into details of the New Testament that a translation cannot provide.

Another example can be found in the use of poetry. Rhyming words in Hebrew cannot be seen in English. Psalm 119 provides a clear example. As the longest chapter in the Bible, each stanza of its text begins with one letter of the 22-letter Hebrew alphabet. Each stanza includes eight verses all beginning with the same Hebrew letter. None of these features can be observed easily in English. However, the original language likely included these features both for ease of memorization as well as for poetic beauty.

Studying the Hebrew and Greek languages of the Bible can be useful in interpreting controversial or difficult portions of Scripture. This helps in promoting healthy teaching as well as to defend against false or unhealthy teaching. Jude 1:3 teaches, "Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude considered accurate teaching so important that he stopped his plans to write about salvation in order to address the topic.

A person can read and learn much from the Bible in a translation. Scripture is living and active (Hebrews 4:12), and the Holy Spirit provides Christians with wisdom and insight into God's word (John 16:13). However, knowledge of the original languages of the Bible can facilitate a greater understanding of the Scriptures. Knowing the nuances of the original languages can deepen our appreciation of God's Word as well as help in determining the meaning of controversial passages. While knowledge of Hebrew and Greek is certainly not necessary to understanding the Bible, it can be a beneficial tool.

Read more: http://www.compellingtruth.org/Greek-Hebrew-Bible....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.