Can I use tin foil in cake baking?

I need to take a cake clean out of a pan for a fancy cake tray. I tried earlier with the non stick spray and when I tried to flip the cake out, the cake tore apart. Can I place tinfoil on the bottom of the pan so I can lift the foil out of the pan and cut under the cake so it will come off clean?

I do this all the time.

Spray the bottom of the pan. Put the foil over it. Spray the foil and sides of pan. Bake as usual.

The reason you also spray the bottom of the regular pan is because if the batter goes over the side, it won't stick to the foil.

• Pat B

I would not use foil. I never user cooking spray for cakes as it just doesn't seem to work for me. You could use parchment paper or you could use solid vegetable shortening and lightly flour it. That should help get the cake out of the pan. Make sure you let the cake cool completely before you try to get it out of the pan and use a thin blade to loosen the sides before you turn it out of the pan also. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience

That doesn't work well so instead, do this. Take the same amount of these 3 ingredients. Flour, shortening and vegetable oil and mix until it looks like marshmallow cream. Keep it in a container with a lid but do not refrigerate it! Dip a pastry brush in it and brush the inside of the pan(s). When it comes out of the oven, wait a few minutes and it will come out clean in one piece. Nothing will stick !!

Source(s): I do this myself and I have friends who swear by it!

I wouldn't for example I know a woman who bake meatballs on tin foil and one they tasted gross and two all of the fat was cooked off and onto the side so that the other meatballs could soak in fat