If it is stated in the old testament not to add to or subtract from why the new testament?

Deuteronomy 4:2

• Mr Ed
    Favorite Answer

The same book of Deuteronomy predicted that another prophet would come in the future. So this text is not saying not to add to what is written. Simply to not claim words are from God when they aren't.

Edit:

Otherwise the Book of Deuteronomy, that is the chapters after the one you quoted, couldn't be legitimate, nor could be the rest of the Old Testament.

You might have a half ways valid argument if God didn't already mention in the old testament, that He'd provide a better covenant than what benefits are available in the old testament.

The new testament is a new version of the old. It's not a completely different testament, therefore it doesn't violate Deut 4:2.

To add or subtract would be with the intent to totally change what has already been written. To make it say something it doesn't say. And thus not to give due respect to divine inspiration.

Private interpretation does that. But it's due to the distorted thinking of the individual reading any portion of the Bible. The Bible itself is purified truth.

An example of private interpretation would be the skeptics bible.

The Old Testament predicted that there would be a change from a "Prophet". Therefore, it was understood that the Law was to remain unchanged until all of it was fulfilled

Deuteronomy 18:18 'I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.

Matthew 5:17-18 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

• Moi

Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

"The word" refers to all scripture - both testamants

The Hebrew is "dabar" meaning:

1) speech, word, speaking, thing

a) speech

b) saying, utterance

c) word, words

d) business, occupation, acts, matter, case, something, manner (by extension)

2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Rev22:18-19

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Pro30:6

Add thou not unto his words,

lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Ecc3:14

I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever:nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it:and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

• Robert

Then, you would be a Jew.