I got a subpoena and don't want to testify?

I don't want to testify in court against a burglar who stole from my car. In the police report I said I guess he was in my car I didn't say yes I saw him in my car I said I guess but the guy did have my stuff I got everything back. Can I not testify or can I just say it wasn't him? He knows me and I know there is going to be trouble when he is out. I don't want to tell police that cause it will only make things worse. What can I do?

If you received a subpoena you HAVE to go to court whether you want to or not...you are considered a "hostile witness." Explain to the police your concerns about testifying and pursue a restraining order if you are afraid of retaliation. You have to tell the truth on the stand.

You have to testify. If you don't show up, you'll be held in contempt of court which will get you a heavy fine or time in jail; you'll be worse off than if you just show up.