Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 7 years ago

Is it okay to smoke weed while still breastfeeding?

Is it okay? Does it harm the baby?

• Tweezy
    Favorite Answer

its fine weed is a soft drug. its no different than drinking some caffine.

• Ellen

It is not okay. The active metabolites stay in your body and will be released slowly through your brestmilk. Both you and your baby will test positive for several weeks.

We do not know if this will effect the baby or not, and how it would effect the baby. Because we don't know, and we know there will be long term exposure, we do know that there is a possibility of risk to the baby.. In addition, one never knows how pure street drugs are and what else might be in them. That is an even greater risk.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3

Personally I wouldn't just because I freak out about everything via breast milk. I do drink no no more then one unit a night & it takes me about 3 hrs to drink that.

I have a friend that smoked while pregnancy with all 3 of her kids & has nursed all 3 to 2+ yrs old. All 3 are advanced for their age. So who really knows. She said smoking was better then throwing up from being sick (pregnant) & a calm happy mom is a good mom. She never did it while her kids were in her care.

Be smart 1 or 2 hits every few months is ok but don't be a pot head!

Smoking weed is not okay since it will harm your baby.

No the active ingredient in weed will be passed on through the breast milk

I personally would not do it but If you do pump and dump and wait as long as you can before putting him or her back on the breast. I have read on a baby center post that babies exposed to Thc through breast milk have had traces of thc in their urine for a few weeks. Also the amount of thc in your breast milk is 6 times higher than in your blood stream! But they also say not much research has been done and only mention that "in one study" it caused damage to the nervous system but "in another study" they did not have the same outcome. I say anything that you have to question- maybe you should just try to avoid as much as possible for the sake of the baby. Good job for breast feeding and deff keep on going with that! "Breast is best" :)

If your baby cries a lot it could quiet them down, or maybe you could just give them a blow back

No, its not okay. It can/will have harmful effects on you AND your baby!

Are you being serious? That is a major no-no. Your doctor will tell you that.

Yes, it is.