How long do I have to file a police report if I get into an accident in my car?

No other vehicles are involved and I could still drive my car, at least until it starting overheating. Pulled off on a remote road to park, left a note and got AAA to tow it the next afternoon. The accident occurred on a US Highway, but the road I parked on is a county road. Which police agency do I contact and how long do I have to do that before it becomes a problem?

• Mary C
    Favorite Answer

I would think that there are frequent 1-car accidents where the drivers don't call the police. I think I would get in touch with the insurance company/agent and ask what to do. They may just take your claim without a police report.

People hit stuff in the road, back into objects, or slide off in bad weather all the time and do not call the police to come out and take a report! Surely your insurance company can deal with this!

2

Source(s): Vehicle History Search Database : http://vin.trustdd.com/?xYZS
  • Bruce

It should have been reported immediately, so you already have a problem.

It is not likely a police officer would take a report now. Because the car was moved, there is nothing to investigate other than your reason for not calling right away.

They type of road doesn't matter. You call the department that has jurisdiction for that area. Unless you were within the city limits, chances are the sheriff's department has jurisdiction.

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991
  • Neil

The correct answer depends on the state. Depending on the amount if property damage and the state, you may not be required at all.

You should have done it right when ity happened.

Now you have no proof that it ever happened, or that the problems with your car didn't happen some other way. You are out of luck.

Live and learn.