Mailing question? Please help. Coins?

I'm a coin collector and my friend that lives in New York wants to trade some coins with me. I'm sending him about 10 coins all in coin flips and packaged in cardboard . Is it possible to do this? Do I have to tell he post office this? Do I have to get a special kind of envelope? Thanks. Please answer ALL the questions

Favorite Answer

Use a small Priority Mail box that you can get for free at any post office. It'll be the safest way to mail the coins. A paper envelope can be torn open by equipment. A bubble envelope large enough to hold 10 coins is going to go by Priority Mail anyway, and you'll have to pay for that envelope.

It should cost a little under $6 if you don't insure it. You may want the insurance, depending on the value of the coins. You do not need to tell anyone what's inside. If you go to a post office window, you may be asked if there's anything liquid, perishable, fragile or potentially hazardous. You can safely answer no. Coins aren't fragile, but should be packed so they fit in the box tightly without being able to move around.

You can use an appropriately sized padded bag, but I think a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope would be good. The envelope is free at any US post office and will cost $5.60 to mail, no matter what the weight. Here's a tip: If you wail until the 28th of this month, you'll get free insurance up to $50. The post office is rolling out some changes to Priority Mail, and the free insurance will be effective as of 7/28.

When you consider the cost of trying to send it a cheaper way but having to buy a padded bag and insurance, the flat rate envelope is really the way to go.

Source(s): 26 years postal clerk

Yes, you can send the coins to New York. Go to:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

to find what the shipping costs are from you to NY. The person at the counter will ask you if you are shipping anything that is prohibited -- tell them it is coins. I have sent over 200(?) packets of coins (ranging from one to 20(?) coins packaged in padding and thin cardboard in regular business envelopes) from six different post offices in my area and only one gives me any grief about what I am doing (but they do mail the envelope). In 15 years of mailing coins, I have only lost one (a 1 oz. silver dollar) and one overdue (a 5-lb. package of coins sent in a small priority box). With the exception of those buyers who had asked for insurance, all have been shipped uninsured.

If you want, you can buy padded mailers (I would recommend the smallest you need) but you will pay a premium (for manual handling). Otherwise, go to e-bay and type in "coin mailer" in Coins & Paper Money. There you will find these flat corrugated mailers that fold over and can be slipped into an envelope (I would recommend if you go this route to tape over the envelope flap with packing tape).

Using the postcalc site above, you can ship 8 oz. of coins first class for about $2.32 to $2.92, lower weights would cost less.

If you need to in the future, you can also send them to dozens of foreign countries. Go to:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immctry.htm

to see what countries prohibit them and what are the requirements of those which allow it.

As you keep trading examine how others have packaged their coins to get ideas. Good Luck!

Source(s): Creating and examining coin packages since 1998.