Is there such thing as a tolerant skeptic when it comes to astrology?

• Gary K
    Favorite Answer

I'm a skeptic and I can tolerate astrologers. To a point. I lose my tolerance when they start calling me 'closed minded' or make other personal attacks, or attack science, rather than provide compelling evidence that what they do is real when asked.

Skepticism is a method, not a position. The burden of proof is on those that make the claim, not for anyone to disprove. If you can show that astrology (which one?) has evidence that can pass testing, a million dollars and a Nobel Prize is waiting. Both of us know that it will never happen.

“There exists in society a very special class of persons that I have always referred to as the Believers. These are folks who have chosen to accept a certain religion, philosophy, theory, idea or notion and cling to that belief regardless of any evidence that might, for anyone else, bring it into doubt. They are the ones who encourage and support the fanatics and the frauds of any given age. No amount of evidence, no matter how strong, will bring them any enlightenment. They are the sheep who beg to be fleeced and butchered, and who will battle fiercely to preserve their right to be victimized… patent offices handle an endless succession of inventors who still produce perpetual-motion machines that don't work, but no number of idle flywheels will convince these zealots of their folly; dozens of these patent applications flow in every year. In ashrams all over the world, hopping devotees of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi will never abandon their goal of blissful levitation of their bodies by mind power, despite bruises and sprains aplenty suffered as they bounce about on gym mats like demented (though smiling) frogs, trying to get airborne. Absolutely nothing will discourage them.”

James Randi